Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what would deleting file com.apple.bluetooth.plist do?

hey,

i picked up a mac pro with os 10.8.3. it came with an aluminum bluetooth keyboard. i cant get the keyboard to work properly. it will pair but then i loose the connection. i changhed the batteries same problem.

wierd thing is when i first got the machine it worked fine for a bit. and a few days of trying to make it work it did work for a bit again. then it will lose connection and wont reconnect. then i will have troubles re-pairing.

the keyboard pairs fine with the mbp 10.5.8 and ipad and stays connected.

i've been reading lots of disscussions trying to figure this out on my own.

ive reset the smc. no luck.

one post said delete file com.apple.bluetooth.plist. what would that mean if i did?

any other suggestions would be great.

cheers

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 9:47 AM

10 replies

May 22, 2013 8:48 AM in response to non-ficti

I don't know if you have solved this yet, but I have had the exact same problem when adding new devices. This includes a Bluetooth keyboard that had similar symptoms to yours. Deleting the com.Apple.Bluetooth.plist *always* solves my problems. I do the following in order:

1. remove all bluetooth devices from the bluetooth preferences

2. delete com.Apple.Bluetooth.plist from /Library/Preferences and/or ~/Library/Preferences (once I had it in both... not sure why)

3. reboot (tried once without rebooting and it didnt work... not sure why)

4. pair devices

5. profit!

Mar 6, 2015 5:12 PM in response to gurleymon

I was having a problem with my bluetooth wireless keyboard where, when you typed an apostrophe, followed by ANY doubled letter, then pressed space bar, the cursor popped back one space between the doubled letters!

My Apple dealer thought it was an autocorrect problem. It was not.

The remedy was to go to Library/Preferences and delete com.Apple.bluetooth.plist. My difference with the instructions above: you MUST have a working keyboard to do this, in order to enter your password, so don't delete it from Bluetooth.

For me, deleting it, then restarting, solved the problem.

Apr 15, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Adam LeBlanc

You shouldn't need to type anything in.

1. remove all bluetooth devices from the bluetooth preferences

Just click the X next to the device you want to remove. You may need to type in an admin password (as mentioned by Snorkeler) so if you are not using a Macbook, be sure you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse to do any additional steps after the devices are removed.

User uploaded file

2. delete com.Apple.Bluetooth.plist from /Library/Preferences and/or ~/Library/Preferences (once I had it in both... not sure why)

In finder press command-shift-G to go to those paths.

User uploaded file

Right click the plist file and Move to Trash. I also usually empty the trash just to be sure.

User uploaded file

**Making the assumption the following don't need explanation

3. reboot (tried once without rebooting and it didnt work... not sure why)

4. pair devices

5. profit!

what would deleting file com.apple.bluetooth.plist do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.