Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems Changing Password

When I go to Users, select a user then choose "Reset Password," I'm presented with a dialog asking for the new password, verification, and an opportunity to check "Require password change at next login." After changing the password that user can no longer log in to Wiki services.

I've tried starting and stopping Open Directory. I've tried stopping and relaunching Server.app. I've tried verifying permissions on the server. I've tried editing the password in Workgroup Manager. Nothing works. That user can no longer log in to wiki. Oddly enough, they can log in to the FTP server.

How can I restore access to the wiki site to that user?

Mac Mini Server

Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.3

Server.app 2.2.1

Workgroup Manager for OS X 10.8

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Mac Mini Server (late 2012)

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 3:42 AM

This is working as designed. Unfortunately the option is badly named. A better explaination of that option is that it would say "Require password change at by logging into account at a Mac login screen before the account can be used.".

In other words, setting that option means that the account can be used for only one thing: sitting at a Mac login screen and using it to log in. Once this is done the login process will automatically pop up the 'enter new password' sheet and once this is done the account will be enabled with the new password. Until this is done, all other services will see this account as having been disabled. There's obviously something wrong with the FTP server since that should be blocking the account too.

You do, of course, have the ability not to do this: just change the user's password to something you know, tell the user to change it, and don't select the 'require password change at next login' checkbox.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2013 3:42 AM in response to Francis Drouillard

This is working as designed. Unfortunately the option is badly named. A better explaination of that option is that it would say "Require password change at by logging into account at a Mac login screen before the account can be used.".

In other words, setting that option means that the account can be used for only one thing: sitting at a Mac login screen and using it to log in. Once this is done the login process will automatically pop up the 'enter new password' sheet and once this is done the account will be enabled with the new password. Until this is done, all other services will see this account as having been disabled. There's obviously something wrong with the FTP server since that should be blocking the account too.

You do, of course, have the ability not to do this: just change the user's password to something you know, tell the user to change it, and don't select the 'require password change at next login' checkbox.

Apr 15, 2013 12:58 PM in response to Simon Slavin

Still having problems.

First problem:

Two services only are available to users, namely Wiki and FTP. After resetting a user's password in the Server app they can no longer log in to the Wiki server with any password, new or old. They can still access FTP using the old password.

Second problem:

I've tried changing my password at the Wiki site (which users must be able to do). Unfortunately, I can't get past the first diaolog box. It won't accept the password used to log into the Wiki.

Third problem:

One of three users I deleted with the Server app still shows up as a person in the Wiki. There's no getting rid of that user, so I hid them from view. That's not a very elegant solution.

Something is seriously wrong with the way Apple's Server handles these routine authentication tasks. Is there any way to do something such as "flush privileges" in MySQL to update all the permissions and authentication passwords?

Apr 16, 2013 3:56 AM in response to Francis Drouillard

When you write

Two services only are available to users, namely Wiki and FTP. After resetting a user's password in the Server app they can no longer log in to the Wiki server with any password, new or old. They can still access FTP using the old password.

Do you have the 'Require password changing at next login' checkbox ticked ? If so, they need to do that before they regain access to Wiki and FTP. If this box is set you absolutely need to sit at a Mac and login at the login prompt before you can do anything else with that account, including using the web interface to change your password. If you don't want this, just leave that checkbox unchecked. In fact you can go in via Workgroup Manager and uncheck it for those accounts now, and check to see if that fixes your problem.

I assume, by the way, that you're using Open Directory to hold your accounts, you have only one Open Directory server (rather than a tree of them) and that changes you make to account details haven't disappeared then next time you go into Workgroup Manager.

Apr 16, 2013 6:36 PM in response to Simon Slavin

Simon's explanatinos and some housecleaning via Workgroup Manager did the trick.

Deleted the user from their only user group.

Delete an errant clone of the path to the group folder for that group.

Unchecked "Allow simultaneous login on managed computers" for that user.

"Allow users to change their password" still checked in "Server Website (SSL)." That now works as expected, except for that annoying untrusted certificate error.

Simon, please reply so I can credit you with the solution.

Apr 17, 2013 3:47 AM in response to Francis Drouillard

Glad you got it working. From your above message you seem to have had more problems than just that one setting. It's possible you have somehow corrupted your Open Directory database.

That's a problem I had myself at one point though I had it with 10.7 not 10.8. If you continue to have problems like this it might be an idea to backup and restore your Open Directory data. This is an option from the 'gear' icon in Server.app. I'm hoping that some part of that process might force the system to remake or reindex its data and get rid of the corruption.

The untrusted cert may be because you're using a cert you made yourself, or that the trust chain is actually broken because of problems further along the chain, but it also might be because your cert uses one domain name for the server but the client is addressing the server by another name. It's possible to make certs which include both domain names in but that's harder.

Problems Changing Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.