Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Actiontec Q1000 in transparent bridge and Airport Extreme as gateway not working

Hello,

I am working on setting up a mini server on my network. I have CenturyLink DSL service, no static IP (I'll use dyn DNS). I am just stepping into all this with little knowledge of networking. I've figured that I should use my airport extreme (3rd gen) as the DHCP/NAT mode, and I set my modem/router from CenturyLink Q1000 to Transparent Bridging. This seems to go okay...for a few minutes. I set up the PPPoE without any issues, and I have that information from CenturyLink.

After a few minutes, I lose my connection to the internet. The light on my Airport Extreme remains green, but it is a different story in Airport Utility. In there, it shows errors-when I click on it to open the diaglog, it asks me for my password for the Airport Extreme. I give it, and nothing happens (I know this is the right password).

I read online that I should power down the Q1000 (in transparent mode-I cannot access the web configuration screen at 192.168.0.1 once it is in transparent mode which is annoying) and then power down the Airport Extreme. Then power up the Q1000, and then once it is back up, power up the Airport Extreme but this didn't work either. According to what I saw online, the loss in connection might be due to the PPPoE on the Extreme dropping?

I spent several hours trying to make this work last night. When it happened, I couldn't access the Airport Extreme options (because it kept asking me for my password, but never let me through) and I couldn't access the Q1000 configuration while it is in transparent bridge mode. I had to reset both to factory standard several times to get it back up and running again.

Anyone have any ideas? I really would prefer Server to handle my airport extreme-that is my goal. Is this a problem with my Airport Extreme or with my modem (Q1000)?

Thanks

Airport Extreme-OTHER

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 6:22 AM

Is this a problem with my Airport Extreme or with my modem (Q1000)?

This is difficult to say without doing some additional testing.

I would suggest that you power off the AirPort Extreme for now and set it aside....then....set up a temporary PPPoE connection on your Mac and connect it directly to the modem.

Watch that connection for a few hours.

If you still see disconnects, this would point to a faulty set up or a faulty modem.

If the Mac maintains a constant connection with the modem, then that would likely indicate a setup or issue with the AirPort Extreme.

Be sure to delete the temporary PPPoE connection on your Mac when you are ready to connect the AirPort Extreme to the modem again.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2013 6:22 AM in response to iOSdeveloperPDX

Is this a problem with my Airport Extreme or with my modem (Q1000)?

This is difficult to say without doing some additional testing.

I would suggest that you power off the AirPort Extreme for now and set it aside....then....set up a temporary PPPoE connection on your Mac and connect it directly to the modem.

Watch that connection for a few hours.

If you still see disconnects, this would point to a faulty set up or a faulty modem.

If the Mac maintains a constant connection with the modem, then that would likely indicate a setup or issue with the AirPort Extreme.

Be sure to delete the temporary PPPoE connection on your Mac when you are ready to connect the AirPort Extreme to the modem again.

Apr 15, 2013 10:24 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

I disconnected the AE, connected directly into my iMac and set up PPPoE on my mac. I've got a stable connection, and it has been stable for a few hours now.

So, does this mean I've got a problem with my AE? Should I replace it? It is a few years old...anyway I can further pinpoint what the issue might be with the AE?

Thanks for your help with this-

Apr 16, 2013 6:22 AM in response to iOSdeveloperPDX

Your "test" would seem to point to the AirPort Extreme as the culprit in your PPPoE connection setup there.

All that I can suggest is that if you have not already done so, perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Extreme and try the PPPoE set up again on the Extreme.

Be sure to delete the temporary PPPoE connection on your Mac before you do this, as you can only have one device thet initiates the PPPoE connection service on your network.

To fully reset the Extreme:

Pull the power cord from the back of the Extreme

Wait a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Extreme first, and keep holding it for an additional 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back in to the Extreme

Release the reset button after the 7-8 second hold period and allow a full minute for the Extreme to display a slow, blinking amber light

Now the Exteme has been fullly reset and you can try the configuration again.

Do not enter anything in the space for "Service Name" on the PPPoE setup page. Just leave that area blank.

If the AirPort Extreme will not hold the PPPoE connection, I'm afraid that this points to a defective AirPort Extreme.

Jan 13, 2014 9:44 PM in response to iOSdeveloperPDX

I have CenturyLink DSL 40mhz, Just replaced old modem but now i can't get aiport extreme to act as a router behind the actiontec Q1000. Very little knowledge of networking.

I am trying to recover old setings in the apple extreme.? Were are the stored? or am i out of lunch. use my airport extreme (1st gen) as the DHCP/NAT mode, and I set my modem/router from CenturyLink Q1000 to Transparent Bridging.

Actiontec Q1000 in transparent bridge and Airport Extreme as gateway not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.