Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't Install OS X

I had Mountain Lion on my macbook pro middle 2009 and last day I wanted to install Snow Leopard. I did that succesfully. After installation I made all updates includin Firmware and then i started to got errors. I wanted to download Chrome and it sayd I don't have enuff space on disk, I wanted to empty the recycle Bin and I also got an error 404 or something like that. After that I wanted to reinstall the Snow Leopard. I put the cd in the machine and I followed the steps. In Disk Utility I selected Macintosh HD, I put the same name and then I press Erase. After that it loads a bit and the Macintosh HD name appears like that "disk0s2" followed by the error "Volume Erase Failled - Volume Erase Failed with the error: The underlying task reported failure on exit". I press ok and then I select the HD / partition / 1 partition from volume scheme / I put the name Macintosh HD or whatever / Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) / In option GUID is selected / pressing Apply / Partition , it loads like 5% and then I get the error "Partition Failed - Partition failed with the error: File sistem formatter failed". I press ok and the disk volume is under the same name "disk0s2". I press Erase (HD selected) and i got the same name "disk0s2" and error. With other words I can't do nothing... I close disk utility and then when the window with "Select a Destination" pops up, there is nothing to select.. No Macintosh HD, nothing. I got an montail lion from internet and I put it on a bootable stick and I got the same problems. I also want to say I have no os x available on my machine. If I take of the Cd/Stick and restart the machine, nothing happend... only a grey background with a grey folder icon. One friend believe that happends because I updated the Firmware... I don't know what to do.. I don't have a backup image, I don't have an external HDD and I belieave my mac machine is unusefull. All I have now is another normal notebook with windows XP and a 16GB memory stick. It will be awesome If someone knows how to repair that and how to make my mac works. Thank you in advance and sorry for my English. Cheers !

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 4:45 PM

4 replies

Apr 15, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Moonstroke

Follow these directions and make sure when you option or c boot from the 10.6 disk, that you select the ENTIRE boot drive at the top with the drive makers name and size, then click Erase > Security Option > Zero All Data and click Erase.

Then click Partition 1 option GUID and OS X Extended journaled as the format, then when you quit, 10.6 can install.

Once you setup, make sure to Software Udpate to 10.6.8 right away.

How to erase and install Snow Leopard 10.6

Once you have 10.6.8 then apply these performance tweaks if you wish

For Snow Leopard Speed Freaks

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents

Apr 15, 2013 7:30 AM in response to ds store

I succesfully made a new partition called Macintosh HD, after that I erased it succesfully. I closed Disk Utility and I start the installation from Snow Leopard Version 10.5.7 CD. Now I got this: Install Failed - Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer - An Yellow Triangle - The Installer could not install some files in "Volumes/Macintosh HD". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Apr 15, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Moonstroke

Moonstroke wrote:

Snow Leopard Version 10.5.7 CD.

10.5.7 is Leopard

10.6 is Snow Leopard.

10.5.7 is obsolete and can't be installed, you need to use the 10.6.3 white disk and follow the instructions I provided in the above post.

Once you get 10.6.3 on the machine you can Software update to 10.6.8, then you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone that to a blank powered external GUID OS x Extended journaled drive and hold the option key to boot from it.

If you want 10.8 Mountain Lion then boot from the internal drive and use AppStore to reinstall it using your AppleID.

If you want 10.8 and 10.6 on the same machine, head to BootCamp and create another partition, and as soon as it does, quit. Hold option key and boot from the clone drive and clone 10.6 to the BootCamp partition.

When you boot the Mac, hold the option key and you can select OS X 10.6 on the internal drive or 10.8 to boot from.

You will need a wired or built in keyboard to perform the at boot key commands.

I can't Install OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.