Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight indexing during a restore!?

Okay, so i started a restore to a second hard drive from a .DMG image of OSX 10.5. Disk Utility showed TWO HOURS, and the progress bar was barely moving. Wow. That seemed kind of long, like, it shouldn't take even an hour. Twenty minutes later, the bar had only moved a little, and it now said 1h 52min remaining.

Meanwhile on my other computer, i looked a little online, and came across this page:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2450198?start=0&tstart=0

Spotlight indexing WHILE you're doing a restore? I opened System Prefs--Spotlight and dragged both the source and destination drives to the Private tab. Perhaps not a good idea *while* a restore is in progress, but surely it wouldn't make any difference. I mean, what king of f-ing pervert would write an OS that did something like that..? Seriously sick. Spotlight is sick to begin with, but indexing a drive(s) while doing a restore or an image? OMG.

Sure enough, in a few seconds the time remaining dropped to 1h 12min, then to 50min a moment later (now at 45min). So, it seems that Spotlight was indeed indexing one or both drive DURING the restore. I really am going to kill somebody one of these days.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4; G5; Dual-Core iMac.

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 5:54 PM

In my opinion Spotlight is the worst & most useless Seach engine I could ever imagine. 😟 😠

I'd actually pride myself if I could dream up a worse or more useless way! 😉

3 replies

Apr 16, 2013 5:07 PM in response to BDAqua

I don't really want to download third party file search apps. I mean, Mac OSX 10.4+ really ought to be able to do a competent search. It's not like we're running OS 6 here, or even OSX 10.0.

I'm pretty sure you can search for files on a drive even if it's listed in the Spotlight preferences "Privacy" tab.

Spotlight indexing during a restore!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.