Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Retina 15'' - SSD optimization

I have just order a Macbook pro retina. It is my first Mac. I hope it will have Samsung or LG second version (not the first version).

I have read of some guide to optimize the ssd and one with a lot of settings is this: http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/optimizing-macos-x-lion-for-ssd/

I would like to know is it has some sense to:

1. Turn off local Time Machine snapshots
  2. Turn off hibernation [laptops only] (avoid to save the ram to ssd when in stop)
  3. Set noatime flag (avoid to write last access time for every file)
  4. Turn off hard drive sleep (SSD may freeze when the hard drive sleep feature is on)

Can this settings make my system less stable or give me some trouble?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 3:25 AM

To be honest, I just use my SSD as I would any other hard drive. I allow Time Machine to store local snapshots, I have turned of hibernation and I have diabled "Put disk to sleep...".

I've also enabled TRIM using Trim Enabler but as you'll have an Apple SSD, TRIM will automatically be enabled.

Good luck,

Clinton

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2013 3:25 AM in response to Asd0r

To be honest, I just use my SSD as I would any other hard drive. I allow Time Machine to store local snapshots, I have turned of hibernation and I have diabled "Put disk to sleep...".

I've also enabled TRIM using Trim Enabler but as you'll have an Apple SSD, TRIM will automatically be enabled.

Good luck,

Clinton

Apr 15, 2013 4:43 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

For point 2:

I think that the best solution could be hibernatemode 2:

0000 0010 (bit 1), in conjunction with bit 0, causes OS X to maintain system state in memory and leave system power on until battery level drops below a near empty threshold (This enables quicker wakeup from memory while battery power is available). Upon nearly emptying the battery, OS X shuts off all system power and hibernates; on wake the system will resume from hibernation image, not from memory.

This modality could be not supported in base the information available on the terminal. Any idea?

Apr 21, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Asd0r

1. snapshots: since writing and erasing (via Trim or otherwise) wears your SSD, thus it could be interesting to turn off local snapshots.

2. make hibernatemode 0 : same reason, and you could use the space by deleting the sleepimage. If you believe that hibernatemode 3 does anything for you - which it does not - a few Terminal commands can move the sleepimage writing to a second non-ssd disk in your computer, that is if you have a second disk).

3. noatime is just a very little effect, if you want it do it, if not don't do it.

4. Set harddrive sleep to never. When there is no disk I/O the Trim command will erase empty space.

As Clinton said: you do not have to set the Trim command yourself because Apple SSD installed already has the Trim command enabled.

Apr 21, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Asd0r

Asd0r wrote:

Can I try to use hibernatemode 2 or for sure is not supported?

How can I controlled if it is working in the sense that it will not write on the disk every sleep?

You might consider skipping hibernation altogether and simply shut down. Once you get your rMBP, you'll be amazed at how quickly it boots from an SSD.

As for Time Machine, since you'd really need an external drive for a full TM backup anyway, turn TM off and when it's convenient and the external is connected, run the TM backup manually. You can have TM on the menu bar and with the external hooked up, just pick "Back Up Now."

Apr 21, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Asd0r

There is no hibernatemode 2.

to see what you have, open Terminal and copy/paste:

sudo pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

then enter;

you will see it is 3.

To see that you have a sleepimage file (same size as your Ram), go to

SSD/var/vm.

Delete it with Terminal (copy/paste)

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

and enter;

make MBP sleep, then wake,

after that go to SSD/var/vm and you will see a new sleepimage.

-------------

Then set hibernatemode 0 with Terminal (copy/paste):

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and enter, then

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

and enter.

Quit Terminal.

After that the hibernatemode is 0 and no more sleepimage is written. And thus must not be erased when a new one has to be written.

Apr 22, 2013 12:31 AM in response to Lexiepex

A friends of mine give me a macbook pro for some day (now I do not have it, I am wait for my new MBPr) and I cannot remeber maybe "man hibernatemode" and one of the result was:

0000 0010 (bit 1), in conjunction with bit 0, causes OS X to maintain system state in memory and leave system power on until battery level drops below a near empty threshold (This enables quicker wakeup from memory while battery power is available). Upon nearly emptying the battery, OS X shuts off all system power and hibernates; on wake the system will resume from hibernation image, not from memory.

This is the best solution: the system does not save anything to the disk, but if the level of the battery is low, it saves hibernation image on disk.

Apr 22, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Asd0r

Asd0r wrote:

This is the best solution: the system does not save anything to the disk, but if the level of the battery is low, it saves hibernation image on disk.

Given that the battery is pretty much welded to the computer, isn't there any concern for battery life since each such cycle takes it closer to the end of its useful life, when Apple declares it "consumed"?

Apr 28, 2014 12:26 AM in response to Asd0r

I am a new MacBook user. I have just bought a new MacBook Pro retina (late 2013) (1T storage). I have read many articles which suggest many ways to optimize the SSD. Do i really need to do anything to optimize my SSD? As it is very expensive, i really don't want the SSD to wear out too soon.

Thank you.

New Retina 15'' - SSD optimization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.