Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad refusing to connect to Airport Express

Hello.

I have an iPad (64GB 2012 retina model with wi-fi and cellular, running 6.1.3) which I am suddenly having difficulties connecting to my Airport Express (mid-2012, with a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz network, running 7.6.3). I was having the difficulties prior to updating to 6.1.3, and they persist afterwards.

My two MacBook Pros, one iPad (a 1st generation iPad running iOS 5) and one iPhone (running iOS 6.1.3) all connect without any difficulties.

Suddenly, today my iPad began to refuse to connect to the network, to which it was formerly happy as Larry to join. It coincided with an internet outage, which was fixed by cycling the router.

Here's what I've tried:

• Restarting the Airport Express
  • Resetting the Airport Express and rebuilding the network, with new passwords and new network name
  • Forgetting the old network on the iPad, and inputting the details manually
  • Resetting network settings on the iPad
  • Connecting to the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz networks

The iPad can 'see' the network - the name is listed next to the Wi-Fi icon in settings, it tries to connect, accepts the password and so on. But the spinning wheel next to the network name in Wi-Fi/Choose a Network keeps on spinning. When I look at the connected clients, the wireless clients listed don't include the iPad wireless card address.

I can connect the iPad to my iPhone via Personal Hotspot, or to my MacBook Pro if I enable internet sharing. I haven't access to another network to try connecting to that.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 3:54 AM

4 replies

Apr 15, 2013 9:51 PM in response to colin_thornby

My problem becomes weirder. Now the affected iPad is connected, but the other iPad stubbornly refuses to connect. Thinking it may have been the AirPort Express base station, I went and bought another one - the problem persists (with all new settings, new network name, new passwords and so on). I'm thinking it is some misconfiguration in the wider network to which this device is connected? (I'm connected to a LAN.)

Jan 5, 2014 10:00 AM in response to colin_thornby

I have brand new IPad retina and BRAND NEW airport express. I setup the ae in bridge mode to connect to internet via DSL AT&T modem. It failed several times. Finally via the older airport utility on my MBP s running OSX 10.6.8 I reset the network starting from scratch.. Used bridge mode. It said no DNS found. So I put in DNS servers public AT&T info on the ae manually. Then it still would not connect. Checked ip addresses. They were e good in the ae and router. But ae was dishing out 169. Network ip addresses to devices. After several hours, I set ae , s own IP address as static instead of dynamic and 253 just below the routers 254 so there is no conflict. Now the ae dishes out correct 192 ip addresses to my brand new iPad mini retina, and my mbp. It still gave 169 series to my iPhone. So I restarted my iPhone. Then iPhone 5 also connected. Other family iPhones also connected after the same restart processes.

However the brand new full size iPad retina still refuses to connect. The ae contnues to dish out a 169 series IP address to this iPad. Tried going through airport utility on this iPad. Still same problem. VERY VERY FRUSTRATED. PLEASE HELP. How do I force the iPad to reject the apple stupid 169 and accept the 192 dished out by the AT&T router which is the only dhcp nat server now since ae is in bridge mode. No other routers or wifi devices here. VERY simple network.

I bought ae because it was supposed to be turnkey setup. However it has taken much longer than I would have needed with a belkin and a lot more troubleshooting hours. And still the iPad retina is not connecting. SHAME ON YOU APPLE!

iPad refusing to connect to Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.