Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule on its own or with router?

Hi,

I want (need) a Time Capsule for backup from my Macbook Pro and my Mac Mini. I don't like plugging an external hdd in every other day so this is the backup solution for me.

The thing is that I already have one of the best (according to tests) Wifi-routers there is, an ASUS N66U. So either I discard that and only use the TC for router, or I connect the TC via ethernet to one of the LAN-ports on my N66U (will that even work?).

Questions:

• What would you do?
  • Will the TC work better with Apple products in other ways?
  • Will the Wireless Wake on LAN work with an Apple router? I need my Mac Mini to wake up from sleep automatically, when I access it via Screen sharing.
  • Is the TC at least as quiet as the Mac Mini?
  • Any other stuff to think about?

Thanks alot. 🙂

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 4:58 AM

What would you do?

I would backup to an external drive on the Mini.. you don't need to keep plugging a drive into the mini surely.. it should be sitting in one place. You can do TM backups over network to any any drive shared on a Mac.

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/

Will the TC work better with Apple products in other ways?

TC is no wireless power house.. you are better sticking with the asus.. very good wireless router.

Will the Wireless Wake on LAN work with an Apple router? I need my Mac Mini to wake up from sleep automatically, when I access it via Screen sharing.

Sorry this one I cannot tell you..

Is the TC at least as quiet as the Mac Mini?

Most of the time it will be silent.. there is a fan in it.. seldom comes on unless it overheats.. you do need to keep the TC cool though. Plenty of ventilation and I suggest mount it on feet or wall mount it.

If you want to do backups to TC you can certainly use one.. bridge it.. and plug into the Asus by ethernet.. that will give you another 2 spare gigabit ports. You can turn wireless off as well if you don't want it or use the TC in a different location connected by ethernet so you can fill in an area with poor wireless if any exist.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2013 4:58 AM in response to danielwerner

What would you do?

I would backup to an external drive on the Mini.. you don't need to keep plugging a drive into the mini surely.. it should be sitting in one place. You can do TM backups over network to any any drive shared on a Mac.

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/

Will the TC work better with Apple products in other ways?

TC is no wireless power house.. you are better sticking with the asus.. very good wireless router.

Will the Wireless Wake on LAN work with an Apple router? I need my Mac Mini to wake up from sleep automatically, when I access it via Screen sharing.

Sorry this one I cannot tell you..

Is the TC at least as quiet as the Mac Mini?

Most of the time it will be silent.. there is a fan in it.. seldom comes on unless it overheats.. you do need to keep the TC cool though. Plenty of ventilation and I suggest mount it on feet or wall mount it.

If you want to do backups to TC you can certainly use one.. bridge it.. and plug into the Asus by ethernet.. that will give you another 2 spare gigabit ports. You can turn wireless off as well if you don't want it or use the TC in a different location connected by ethernet so you can fill in an area with poor wireless if any exist.

Time Capsule on its own or with router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.