Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i convert all my itunes songs to 160kbps?

Im on the newest version of itunes on windows 7. I have songs of all different kbps. how can i change them al to 160?

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply
12 replies

Apr 15, 2013 9:15 AM in response to Gleimy719

Changing the setting only affects new songs that you rip or convert. Purchases from the iTunes store, Amazon etc. will still be in their default bit rates, e.g. 256K AAC or MP3 respectively. If you want to create copies at your preferred bit rate you can now select, right click and use Create <format> version. However these will be additional copies of the songs in your library. Is this what you wanted?

Why do want to convert the bit rate permanently? Songs with lower birate cannot be improved, songs with higher bitrate will lose fidelity. If your device doesn't have room for all the media iTunes can downsample on the fly with the "reduce higher bitrate songs to..." feature.

tt2

Apr 15, 2013 9:48 AM in response to Gleimy719

There is possibly not much space to save either, and as your library grows, which it will, at some point you'll have to decide what goes on and what stays off. You might find you're better off using the iTunes feature so you don't have to worry about the originals and the lower bitrate versions in your library or on your hard drive.

If you really want to permanently reduce the bitrate of some of your tracks so they use less space on your device and in local storage then my script ConvertFormat can move the ratings, play counts & playlist membership to the newly converted files before sending the originals to the recycle bin. But you better be sure because you can't get back what you throw away.

tt2

Apr 15, 2013 10:13 AM in response to keeferaf

Sure, iTunes can convert anything without DRM to your chosen format & bitrate. The converted songs will be added to the library as duplicates, and won't have the same ratings, playcounts and playlist membership. The script is for anyone who wants to avoid those issues. It uses iTunes to convert the tracks one at time, then copies across the relevant information before sending the original to the recycle bin. I wrote it because someone asked nicely, but my recommendation is to let iTunes change the bitrate on the fly as the tracks are added to the device so you can keep the original better quality version in the library and enjoy the benefits of slimmed down tracks on the device.

tt2

Apr 15, 2013 11:17 AM in response to turingtest2

The converted songs will be added to the library as duplicates, and won't have the same ratings, playcounts and playlist membership.

Steve - That behavior has fluctuated over the years, but in 11.0.2 the converted file inherits the Playcount, Rating, and Last Played from the original file, but gets today's Date Added. (And does not inherit playlist membership.)

my recommendation is to let iTunes change the bitrate on the fly as the tracks are added to the device so you can keep the original better quality version in the library and enjoy the benefits of slimmed down tracks on the device.

100% agree. No need to butcher your library tracks just to save space on the device.

Apr 15, 2013 12:00 PM in response to ed2345

ed2345 wrote:

Steve - That behavior has fluctuated over the years, but in 11.0.2 the converted file inherits the Playcount, Rating, and Last Played from the original file, but gets today's Date Added. (And does not inherit playlist membership.)

Right you are. Now that I've checked I see the script preserves both date added and playlist membership. (It's been a while since I wrote it.)

tt2

How do i convert all my itunes songs to 160kbps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.