Skip navigation

Space in disk decreases drastically after start

235 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 1:30 PM by goldfilm RSS
goldfilm Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 15, 2013 9:53 AM

I have a MacBook Air with 64 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.8.3.

After I was running out of space, I used the amazing program GrandPerspective and found out a few things:

- My sleepimage was 8 GB, taking a lot of space, but because it's exactly as my RAM, I can't do anything about it.

- I discovered that my five Apple Mail IMAP email accounts are taking a big chunk of my disk! I sorted my emails by size and erased hundreds of them with attachments from 1 MB to 80 MB.

- I got rid of huge apps I wasn't using, like Google Chrome (1 GB) and others

- I run ONYX, executed all the processes, erased all the caches, etc.

When I restarted my computer I went from 2 GB free to 10 GB free. Huge improvement! But after a few minutes I've noticed that my free space decreased to 9 GB, then 8 GB, then 7 GB in less than 10 minutes. Now, a day after I performed Onyx and erased a bunch of things I discovered that my actual free space is 4 GB... but half an hour later 8 GB...!

WHAT's GOING ONNNN?????? Will I have only 2 free GB in the next hour?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,390 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2013 1:46 PM (in response to goldfilm)

OSX creates temporary files while it is running, what you are seeing is normal.

You have far too little space available on your hard drive. As a rule of thumb 10% (roughly) should be free while the Mac is running, even though you have a tiny hard drive you are far below that.

Erasing caches is a waste of your time, the Mac has to waste its time refilling them (as you are seeing)

Remove files from your drive until at least 10% (or more) is free.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.