Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks Author v. Keynote for digital timeline--URGENT

I have been working on a digital timeline project that will be viewed on an ipad in a museum that a visitor can scroll through and also see on a large screen above the kiosk. I have gone back and forth on the best application to use for this project and had decided on Keynote. However, there are some limitations that I'm concerned about and am now wondering if iBooks Author would be the better choice.

General design elements of timeline:

background image on each page (created in PS)

text boxes for each event, some with images

The basic requirements for this timeline:

being able to scroll forward and backward through five historical periods (used the "push" animation in Keynote)

a navigation bar at the bottom of each page where a viewer can jump to any of the five periods

being able to select an event for a "pop-up" screen with a larger version of the image and extended text description

I have been able to accomplish most of this with Keynote. However, here are the problems I've encountered:

Using animation effects for the "pop-up" screen won't allow a viewer to skip this option since as you click through, it triggers the action

My work-around solution (going to a new slide to "fake a pop-up window") yields a pretty obvious powerpoint--looking transition

When you scroll backwards, the slide "push" transition doesn't work. The basic way you scroll through pages in ibooks is actually preferable to slide transitions

I really have to resolve this as soon as possible so that I can complete the entire timeline. So far, I have worked on one section to figure out a method. Any advice about which software to use would be very very appreciated. At the moment, I am leaning toward switching to iBooks Author but I want to make sure it can do what I need it to do.

Thanks so much

iBooks Author-OTHER

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 12:01 PM

9 replies

Apr 15, 2013 12:37 PM in response to museumscapes

Hi,

i have produced something similar in the past.

whilst my answer is not to use either application you have mentioned, i must urge you to look at "Easy Timeline 3D"

this really does give an awesome professional looking product that is simple to create. search the app store or look at their website for more info:

http://www.beedocs.com

i do not work for them in anyway, but was really impressed with thier product ( it was this product, and its non availability on anything other than MAC that pushed me to ditch teh PC...!)

hope this helps

Arran

Jul 20, 2013 10:28 PM in response to jurap

A book displayed in iBooks created with iBooks Author should be able to give the nav and popover UI. I don't believe there is a migration story for Timeline3D to iBooks Author.

If you need finer-grained control, an HTML widget inside the book could provide the experience. iAd Producer, Hype, Motion Composer and other fine HTML authoring tools can help create the widget for you. iAd Producer is more page-oriented than the other two I mentioned, so it might be a better option for multi-page content. It also has a nifty timeline example project!

iBooks Author v. Keynote for digital timeline--URGENT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.