Skip navigation

printing on a mac

701 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 3:42 PM by Sam Beaver RSS
Sam Beaver Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 15, 2013 11:49 AM

Hi, I haven't been able to print on a network printer from the macintosh for the past five years or so.

I have gone through a couple of PC computers that I use dedicated for printing. today, the PC crapped out, so came back into trying to fix the issue. an annual event or so.

I found this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/6873260?messageID=6873260&tstart=0#6873260 ?messageID=6873260&tstart=0

and by typing in the network path name (main server/server/printer) to the printer, I got it to almost print. it woke up the printer, but said it had an error and would not print.

anyway, tried in 10.5. 10.6. 10.7 and 10.8, so i figure the problem is the same for anyone else on a windows server network.

haven't quite figured out what is wrong.

'm close to getting this to work.

is there a third party permanent fix for this, or do i have to type in paths, usersnames, and passwords when ever I try to print?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), macpro, macbook, ipad, iphone, ect.
  • Alberto Ravasio Level 4 Level 4 (3,160 points)
    Apr 23, 2013 7:52 AM (in response to Sam Beaver)

I think those printers have PostScript installed.

Get Latest Canon Drivers

Copy the Folder "iR-ADV C9065_9075" that you find inside the PPD_V3.40_MAC.dmg in your Document folder.

You must have the printer's IP address at hand.

Add printer using IP not the Default Browser.

Fill in the IP address, choose HP Jetdirect - Socket, leave the Queue empty, Give a name, and position (Optional).

In Use select Others, browse to your Document/iR-ADV C9065_9075 folder and choose the PPD.

• Alberto Ravasio Level 4 Level 4 (3,160 points)
    Apr 24, 2013 3:16 PM (in response to Sam Beaver)

Very strange. If the printer is PostScript capable, any computer, Macintosh included, can print, even using generic PostScript drivers.

Could be a problem involving the TCP port.

• HP Jetdirect - Socket uses TCP port 9100
    • LPR/LPD user TCP port 515

But the printer must have those daemons enabled to be able to receive requests.

You should check printer's configuration, usually accessible through web interface.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.