Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for Photos Out of Order on ATV

Here’s a workaround solution to the frustrating problem of seeing your numerically sequenced photos all out of order on Apple TV due to the latest upgrade(s) of iTunes. Trust me, the wonks at Apple could care LESS about putting out software upgrades with glaring defects. I'm SOOO glad I sold all my Apple stock last year. This company is headed into the dumper. With that being said, here’s the fix. I am on a PC using Windows 7; 64-bit.

First, let me say I tried every “fix” posted to any forum or blog that I could find. NOTHING fixed my out of order pictures on Apple TV. Pictures in some folders were in the proper sequence, while others in other folders were not, despite being numbered with the same format. I was using iTunes 11.??? whatever the latest version was, but this problem started appearing in earlier versions as well. Despite numerous complaints on this forum, Apple made no attempt to fix it. So here’s my fix and it works:

First, DELETE the “iPod Photo Cache” in your “My Pictures” folder. This folder will be rebuilt with the new install of an earlier version of iTunes which WORKS!! You might as well DELETE the “iTunes” index folder in “My Music” as well as this will be rebuilt also. Next, you will need to go to Control Panel to uninstall the many apps pertaining to iTunes and they MUST be uninstalled in the following order:

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order. Then, restart your computer.

1. iTunes
  2. QuickTime
  3. Apple Software Update
  4. Apple Mobile Device Support
  5. Bonjour
  6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

In most cases removing iTunes and its related components from the Control Panel will remove all supporting files belonging to those programs. In some rare cases those files may be left behind. After following the previous steps, you should confirm that the following files and folders have been removed and if any are left behind, remove them now:

◾C:\Program Files\Bonjour

◾C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\

◾C:\Program Files\iTunes\

◾C:\Program Files\iPod\ Note: Follow the additional steps at the end of this article if you receive the alert "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program" when trying to delete this folder.

◾C:\Program Files\QuickTime\

◾C:\Windows\System32\QuickTime

◾C:\Windows\System32\QuickTimeVR

If you are not computer savvy and are unsure how to delete these files and folders, go to:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1925

and scroll down to and click on:

“If you aren't sure how to remove these files, you can follow these detailed steps:”

Now you are ready to reinstall an earlier version of iTunes. Remember, once you have installed this earlier version, DO NOT give in to temptations to “upgrade to the latest version of iTunes” or you’ll be right back to where you started. I used the following website for the older version, though I suppose you could find it on apple.com (??):

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/

Scroll down to “10.1.1” version and select either the regular or the 64-bit, whichever applies to your PC and double click to begin downloading. I imagine other earlier versions would work also, I just picked this because I remembered not having any problems with my Apple TV two years earlier. I think it was iTunes v11.0 that started screwing up my photos.

Once it is complete, you will have to re-connect your Apple TV to the newly installed iTunes. Make sure your iTunes app is open on the computer that operates your wireless network. Turn on the Apple TV and go to “Settings>Computers> and click on the first entry if the 5 boxes with numbers do not appear. Copy down the numbers and go to your PC running iTunes and click on “Apple TV” under “Devices” in the left hand side-bar. You will need to enter the 5-digit code in the 5 boxes.

Your Apple TV should start to automatically sync. Or if you prefer, which I do, under SETTINGS, select “Custom Sync” instead of “Automatic Sync”. Go through all the heading catagories at the top to select the items you want to sync. Be sure an hit “Apply” (bottom right) after you’ve made all your selections.

Let me know if this works for ya'll out there. It's working for me FINALLY after a year of frustration....almost went to PLEX on my ROKU as an alternative.

Apple TV, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 1:16 PM

There are no replies.

Fix for Photos Out of Order on ATV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.