Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 10.8.3 restarts every time communicating with Epson r1800 printer.

I have had my iMac and Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer for about 5 years and haven't had any issues until today. I don't print that often (the last time was February), but today I had some crazy things happening. I was in Lightroom and tried to print a photo. I clicked on print and my computer immediately restarted and I received a message when it rebooted that "Your computer restarted because of a problem . . ." (followed by generic info). I tried again, same thing. Then I tried to go into Epson's Printer Utility application and as soon as I clicked on "check ink level status", my computer restarted.

Then I went into System Preferences into Printers and tried to remove and reinstall the printer. When I tried to reinstall, my computer restarted. Next, I cleared all my print settings by holding Control in the printer dialogue box (where you add or remove printers). Again, I tried to re-install my printer and as soon as I clicked to Add, my computer restarted.

I've checked to see if there are any printer driver updates and there are none. Again, I was printing fine a few months ago and now every time my computer tries to communicate with my printer it restarts . . .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 7:06 PM

It's a known issue with EPSON FireWire printers and OS X 10.8.3. Switch the printer connection to USB until the bug is fixed by a future update.

1 reply

iMac 10.8.3 restarts every time communicating with Epson r1800 printer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.