Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing AVI Codec in QuickTime

Hello:

I am trying to convert some old home videos from AVI to MOV so that they can play on AppleTV. The videos play fine in VLC Media Player on OSX, but I can't get them to open in QuickTime for export to MOV. I get the well known "A Required Codec is not Available" error.

VLC Media Player's media properties dialog shows the files to be of this format:

Video Codec: MS MPEG-4 Video v2 (MP42)

Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Audio Codec: PCM S16 (araw)

I've looked at the QuickTime supported media types page (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3775), where it seems that the video codec may be supported, if that's the same thing as MPEG-4 (Part 2). However, the PCM S16 codec doesn't seem to be on that list.

Does anyone know how I can add support for these codecs to QuickTime?

Really my end goal is to convert the AVI to MOV. Maybe there's a better way to do this. I tried experimenting with VLC's streaming export features, but I couldn't get that to work.

Thanks sincerely for any help!

NBB

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 7:42 PM

Try installing Perian.

(80982)

5 replies

Apr 15, 2013 8:48 PM in response to Niel

Well, that worked for getting the media to play (thanks, Niel!), but when I try to export the AVI to MOV I get a roughly worded error "Cannot Open This media may be damaged".

I'll see if I can any info on that, but let me know if you have any ideas. I'm guessing there must be a different way to do this AVI-MOV conversion entirely, but I wasn't really wanting to purchase any converter software, as I will probably never do this again... QuickTime worked fine for my old MPGs, it's just these ten or so weird AVIs that I created with an AverTV video capture card circa 2005.

NBB

Jul 5, 2014 6:36 AM in response to richardsonheights

Today, there are many methods to convert AVI to MOV. Here list two of the most common ways to help you.

Method one:

If you don't mind wasting your time and your source file is smaller than 100MB, you can choose Online AVI to MOV Converter. You need to pai at least $7 per month to convert MP4 video larger than 100MB, that's too much.

Method two:

If you care about the output quality and don't want to waste your time, a professional and easy-to-use AVI to MOV Converter is required.

Missing AVI Codec in QuickTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.