Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The picture could not be opened because the original image could not be found."

"The picture XXXXX.jpg could not be opened because the original image could not be found." - I've translated from Portuguese, so it's possible to contain errors on text but I think it is clear to understand.

This error message has appeared on my screen for a thousand times, repeatedly. I've canceled everyone, but still appears,how this error has ocurred for every picture in my library.

I gave up, I'm tired to cancel every window. I don't know what to do. And worst, I'm not able to open Settings or any other command, only "Cancel" or "Search Image", and it opens a Finder window that doesn't give me access to iPhoto Library.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 7:40 PM

5 replies

Apr 15, 2013 8:46 PM in response to LarryHN

I can't tell you, but I believe it's checked, as default. Because I'm a regular user, haven't changed too much things on OS.

Also, I'm not able to open preferences or any other window on iPhoto, only I have is this screen...

And the message says: "The picture XXX.JPG could not be..."
I've just tryied to restore from a TM backup but it haven't worked, maybe a older one, but I'm afraid to lose too much data.

User uploaded file

Apr 15, 2013 11:15 PM in response to luisbedin

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

"The picture could not be opened because the original image could not be found."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.