Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (3rd generation): Replacement program

I've read an article today talking about a replacement program for some Apple TVs (3rd generation).

How can I confirm if my device is included in that program?

My Apple TV S/N is: *Y3HR5**DRHN

Note: I used "*" only to not include all the S/N of my device on the Internet (security issue 🙂 )

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 8:27 PM

19 replies

Apr 16, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Wattloewe

This is still just a report and not official. I am hoping the "3rd and 4th" letter part is wrong. My 4th and 5th digits (as well as the last four) would mean I have a faulty model.

It's interesting that out of the 3 of us here who mentioned serial numbers, everyones 3rd digit is a number, but in the report that 3rd digit is always a letter.

Apple should post something soon, maybe even email affected owners (they did for an iMac recall).

Apr 16, 2013 12:53 PM in response to Lee Abraham

AppleCare offered to mail out, although I was asked to ship my original unit back. The new unit would be mailed once the old was received. I think there may be some mixed results out there as I had read one post that suggested AppleCare was express mailing today with no mention of returning the old unit. FWIW...the tech I spoke with did have to put me on hold several times...I think they are still working through process bugs. Maybe they weren't expecting calls? Regardless...I decided to make the trip to the Apple Store and get it over with...armed with a case number from AppleCare.

Apr 16, 2013 1:17 PM in response to Guilherme de Assis Brasil

I had two faulty Apple TVs (loosing wifi connection, unable to see any wifi networks)

One was replaced; it had the 7HD at the 3,4,5th S/N characters, and the DRHN ending)

The second just started to have the same problem; it has 1JW for the 3,4, and 5th characters + the DRHN ending.

Anyone with 1J (3,4) or JW (4,5) combo characters are experiencing the connectivity problem !?!?

All my other Apple products works fine on my wifi networks.

Apr 18, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Joe P.

I just got back from the Florida Mall store in Orlando. The tech entered the serial number in his iPad and said, "Yep, it's one of the serial numbers." Unfortunately they wouldn't just give a new one, they have to order it. ***** because I live an hour away, but it is what it is. Was pretty painless otherwise, asked if I had updated the software and other routine questions.

Apr 18, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Joe P.

I contacted AppleCare before tripping it to the Apple Store. They did offer to mail a replacement unit (I needed to ship the original back, first). In the end, I decided to head to the store. The AC tech gave me a case number which saved me at the store. I did not make an appointment with the Genius Bar...why should I need to? There was reluctance to assist me immediately (as well as acknowledge that there was replacement program), but I refused to wait and asked for a supervisor. I walked out of the store with a new unit 15 minutes later. I was told they were making an "exception" as most "recalls" were swapped with a refurbished unit (with the new chipset installed) and they did not have any these units on hand...yet. I'm thinking that they best course of action may be to call AppleCare directly and either use the mail in replacement process or get a case number that you can have handy if you go to the Apple Store. JMO.

Apple TV (3rd generation): Replacement program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.