Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get Messages to show the correct time for read receipts?

Messages in Mountain Lion shows the wrong time for read receipts. For example, my iPad will show a message was read at 3:37 pm but if I open Messages on my MacBook, the read receipt shows the time that I opened the Messages app as opposed to the time the message was actually read. This is not too much of an issue if my iPad is handy, but really, shouldn't Messages on my MacBook be able to show the correct time the message was read? It syncs all the other infromation with Messages on iOs.

I should mention that if Messages is running on my MacBook when the recipient reads the message, then it does show the correct time the message was read. It's if Messages was not running and I re-launch it that the read receipt time gets mixed up.

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 10:25 PM

3 replies

Apr 16, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Paxton31

HI,

As far as I am aware Messages marks or time stamps an iMessage at the time of receipt rather then the time you got around to reading it.

I will admit that in most cases reading and receiving as the app opens will be near enough the same time in some conversations.

Adding Time Stamps to Chat is what iChat has always done particularly with AIM based Chats.

The "Sync" in Messages is "display on all devices" and after that each iMessages is dealth with separately on each device.

There is no syncing of deleting/dimssing an iMessages or having read it on another device.

User uploaded file
8:58 PM Tuesday; April 16, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Jul 11, 2013 3:03 PM in response to Paxton31

Hi Paxton31,

I noticed the exact same issue. You are not alone. When I receive messages on my iphone5, I will see one time as the read receipt, but when I go to Messages on my laptop which is running mountain lion, the time stamp of the is always the time that I opened the messages app and if different from the time on my iphone.

Anyone out there have the same problem or has an idea of how to fix?

Jul 12, 2013 1:40 PM in response to JuliaYaz

Hi,

There is no fix.

IN this case "SYNC" means "Display on All devices".

It does not mean "keep all actions updated across all devices in realtion to this iMessages"

"Read" only applies to the version you are reading.

User uploaded file
9:40 pm Friday; July 12, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

How can I get Messages to show the correct time for read receipts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.