Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burn-in on MacBook Air Display from Apple Logo?

Abouth three months into operation of my MacBook Air, the display started showing an irregularity - a brighter spot in the center of the screen. It appears (I am alost certain) that it is a "reflection" of the Apple logo glowing on the lid - it coincides by location, and it vaguely follows the logo size and "apply" outline. It is not connected to an outside light, as it is there even in a dark room It is visible with any display brightness level and at every angle (it is best visible in a photo from this angle, but it is also visible head-on). Here's how it looks:

User uploaded file

I have noticed that the brigther spot became more visible in the past couple of weeks, and is now becoming a major distraction.

Is there any way I could get rid of it? Can it leave a permanent burn-in on my screen?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13-inch display, mid-2012

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 7:01 AM

This is not the Apple logo shining through from the back. My problem looks exactly like the photo in the first message on this thread, and covering the back does not make it go away even a little bit.

Indeed it is best visible when there's a lot of white on screen, like a blank web browser window.

7 replies

Nov 17, 2017 10:08 AM in response to christianfrom67098

Also all Machines had marks from the keyboard in the display coating, "staingate like" that means the coating was damaged on all Macbook Air's. Not so extreme like known from the MacBook Pro Retina Model's I personally also own a MacBook Pro Retina 2014 and had staingate already, display was replaced and apple store guy told me the coating is now improved and it should never happen again, but now I have the problem again, care is until 11.12.2017, so dam going to replace again.

Oct 28, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Kliuch-ua

I had this exact same problem on a 15" MacBook Pro with antiglare screen. The computer had to go back in for a warranty repair (which would have cost £300). The engineer said that it could be caused by pressure on the laptopm while in a bag, but he wasn;t any more forthcoming about my particular example.

Just to be clear, this is not the same as light shining in the back of the computer through the Apple logo, which also creates a 'white shadow' effect. You'll see this in a pitch balck room too.

I'd get in touch with Apple to get a repair scheduled 😟

Dec 10, 2014 7:19 PM in response to Kliuch-ua

I have the same exact problem, and it is not about external light from the environment. It is more like the display is burnt where the logo is. Anyone got answers or support from Apple? Clearly, this is not my mistake at some point, as it depends from the way the product is built. I am thinking of going to an Apple Center, but I am in Thailand, Apple is here only through third parties, and I assume partners are not so inclined to take responsibilities for Apple mistakes.

Jan 17, 2015 12:00 PM in response to primapagina

I have the identical problem as primapagina. The outline of the apple logo is burned into the display.

I took it to the apple store and as I have had it for 16-18 months it is out of warranty and they said it cost just under $500 to replace the display. Seems a little harsh since it is something wrong with he Macbook rather than something i did.

Burn-in on MacBook Air Display from Apple Logo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.