Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine: Macbook can't find external network hdd

Hi,

I'm want to backup BOTH my Macbook Pro (Retina) and my Mac Mini (Late 2012) to an external hard drive (Western Digital My Passport) USB-connected to the Mac Mini.

Alas, this doesn't work. I can't figure out why. The Mac mini finds the disk with no problems and can backup to it via Time Machine. But when I open Time Machine on the Macbook Pro, it can only backup to the Mac Mini. That's the only location it finds; it can't find the external disk.

I've enabled file sharing and shared the external disk, and set it to be available for guests to read/write. I've even bought OS X Server and used the same configuration there (although it seems to sync it from the Mountain Lion config anyway). Still nothing, the macbook can't find the external disk, only the Mac mini itself.

What could be the problem? All guides I find is about backing up to the Mac Mini over wifi. I don't want the backups on the Mini, but on the external disk connected to it.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 1:04 AM

3 replies

Time Machine: Macbook can't find external network hdd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.