Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP (running Lion) frequently hangs, needs restart

Since I bought my Retina MBP last fall, it's had a habit of hanging and needing to be manually restarted.

It will start with whichever application I'm in (usually Chrome) not doing anything new, e.g., Chrome not loading a page when I click a bookmark or type in an address, or another application just hanging.

Activity monitor won't open, force quit has no effect, and every app turns out to have the same problem. The only solution I've found is to manually shut down the computer using the power button, and turn it back on.

Sometimes it doesn't happen for weeks, and sometimes (like now) it will happen once or twice a day for a while. Because it's so unpredictable, I haven't been able to do much testing, like shutting down certain apps and seeing what happens.

I think there must be system logs or crash logs somewhere. When I turn my computer back on, it recognizes that I shut it down due to "a problem" (when it offers to re-open my applications), so I'd imagine somewhere it keeps a record of what went wrong. Would that be of any use in diagnosing the problem?

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 5:58 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2013 5:00 AM in response to ramparts

By booting into Safe Mode, as described above, the computer will automatically perform some repair services by the time the boot procedure is complete. In other words, just boot into Safe Mode, and once the bootup has finished, you can reboot normally and that may have solved the issues. If that doesn't resolve it, then I would reboot into the "Mountain Lion Recovery Partition" by rebooting while holding down the Command - R keys. Once in the Recovery Partition go into its "Disk Utilites", highlight your "McIntosh HD" in the left hand column and select "Repair Disk" over in the right portion of the window. When that is done running, run "Repair Permissions" twice. Hopefully that may solve the issues.

Apr 17, 2013 5:03 AM in response to Radiation Mac

Thanks. I'll try booting into Safe Mode.

I also did boot into the recovery partition a few weeks ago and repaired my Macintosh HD, because Disk Utility told me I needed to. I think the disk needing repair was a consequence of all the forced restarts this problem has made me perform.

Indeed, I checked Disk Utility regularly thereafter, and it was fine until a couple of days ago when it told me I needed to repair the disk again! So that clearly isn't solving the problem, though it's a symptom.

MBP (running Lion) frequently hangs, needs restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.