Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log in to my (mobileme) email on Mail/Server rejecting password, Can't log in to my (mobileme) email on Mail/Server rejecting password

Hi all,

I went to check my email in mail last night and my mobileme account was offline. (Gmail account is online no problem). I clicked to take it back online, but it wouldn't accept my password. My parents also have this address on their mail (2 x macbook pros on lion, 2 x iphone 4, 1 x ipad4 -if this is relevant!) as its our main business account. The same situation was on their devices.

I came into the studio this morning and tried the following on my computer:

-Re-setting password on iforgot. (This took a few attempts as I can't use alternative email address as it doesn't work and is years old, and it kept telling me my security question (Bday) was wrong when it was correct...) I got there in the end and changed the password successfully.

-Went to remove keychain, but there was nothing there at all for the account

-Deleting account and re-setting up. This didnt work, as it wouldnt accept my password (new or old).

This happened a few weeks ago as well, and resetting the password and resetting the account worked.

I also did the same on my parents devices, and the new account was set up fine, so we can at least access the emails via their computers.

The differences between the computers, and what I'm guessing the problem is, I am on Snow leopard (10.6.8), on old version of mail (4.5) and obviously not connected to icloud. They are on lion and the latest versions of mail, and on icloud.

I desperately don't want to upgrade to lion as I run lots of expensive software off my machine, (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, after effects etc) and don't want lion to mess them up.

Do you think the fact i'm on such an old version is the problem? Why would the account have been taken offline on the other devices initally though?

I have had different messages popping up:

"The MobileMe IMAP server “mail.me.com” rejected the password for user...."

"Logging in to the MobileMe IMAP server “mail.me.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages."

And something about the certificate not being secure.

Sorry, this has been all over the place - very behind now and rushing!! Hope it makes sense and someone can help soon, as I need to send a ton of emails this afternoon off my machine! :-) Thanks in advance!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 9:01 AM

MobileMe is long closed and the mail.me.com server is not functioning (apparently it did continue for some time for some people).

I assume from what you say that you migrated your MobileMe account to iCloud, and that therefore you have a functioning email account there - (you should be able to log into http://icloud.com and see your email there).

You should delete the MobileMe account from your Mac and set it up again following the instructions here:

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Snow Leopard or Leopard

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2013 9:01 AM in response to comicstripper1

MobileMe is long closed and the mail.me.com server is not functioning (apparently it did continue for some time for some people).

I assume from what you say that you migrated your MobileMe account to iCloud, and that therefore you have a functioning email account there - (you should be able to log into http://icloud.com and see your email there).

You should delete the MobileMe account from your Mac and set it up again following the instructions here:

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Snow Leopard or Leopard

Apr 24, 2013 7:31 AM in response to comicstripper1

comicstripper1 wrote:

I desperately don't want to upgrade to lion as I run lots of expensive software off my machine, (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, after effects etc) and don't want lion to mess them up. ...

You can continue to run most PowerPC software in Mt. Lion by installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 8:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only).

Nov 28, 2013 10:57 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

I am running an xServe and I have a problem in that I cannot upgrade to OSX Server 10.9 (I don't understand whyI have 2 x Dual Core Xeon 2ghz processors) I can hardly imagine that it can't handle 10.9 and I can't enter my iCloud username and password. I really need to to work so that I can use back to my mac and remotly manage this machine. The validation error is a lie, I have put inthe correct details. I don't mind too much that I can't upgrade, but I do object to things that afre allready working being switched off.

What is worse is that Apple no longer make the xServe so I have no upgrade path, yet their model is to force me to upgrade. (I Can't use the PowerMac newcause I only have a 2U rack space, not only that there really is no need to upgrade this machine, I am using 100th of its power.

User uploaded file

Can't log in to my (mobileme) email on Mail/Server rejecting password, Can't log in to my (mobileme) email on Mail/Server rejecting password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.