Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I only scan right after login?

I am using a Canon MX 850 printer/scanner and scanning only works right after I log out and back in again, after a while the scan dialog just shows a grey box.

Any idea what's causing this and what I can do about it?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 4:23 AM

6 replies

Aug 23, 2013 1:49 AM in response to vulkman

Same problem with my Macbook Pro 10.8.4. Reset print system, deleted everything, installed only Apple print software, installed only Canon software (their websites are useless for describing what each piece of software does). Always have to log out, then back in, before the scanner shows up in Preview or Image Capture. Then it works for a while but then dissappears. Log out, log in, back to working, etc..

Feb 2, 2014 1:18 PM in response to vulkman

I have been trying to figure this out for ages, ever since Mountain Lion I think.

The only thing I have noticed is, When I first login, these Canon processes are running:

346 ?? S 0:00.35 /Library/Printers/Canon/IJScanner/Utilities/Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector2.app/Contents/MacOS/Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector2

731 ?? S 0:01.11 /Users/jonathan/Library/Printers/Canon MX860 series.app/Contents/MacOS/PrinterProxy

740 ?? S 0:00.77 /Library/Image Capture/Devices/Canon IJScanner1.app/Contents/MacOS/Canon IJScanner1 -psn_0_254014

Later when I come back (after my computer has been asleep for a while, or maybe just after some time), I come back and these are the running canon processes:

346 ?? S 0:00.61 /Library/Printers/Canon/IJScanner/Utilities/Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector2.app/Contents/MacOS/Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector2

1061 ?? S 0:00.21 /Users/jonathan/Library/Printers/Canon MX860 series.app/Contents/MacOS/PrinterProxy

I am not sure what happened to the other one or even if it matters.

I am really frustrated but will keep poking around I think ... This is the first time I was able to search for this issue and see anybody else have it as well.

I do run "Little Snitch" and I wonder if anybody else is as well? But come to think of it, My wife has the very same problem and is not running little snitch. So ... yeah probably not the cause.

Why can I only scan right after login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.