Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2012 became slow & laggy. What's the problem?

Hi there,
I am worried about my bad experience with my new Macbook Pro (2012). I took the best non retina option - 2,5ghz intel i7, 8gb ram, 1gb vcard and etc.
At first it was really amazing, but by the time I felt that macbook became slow and the "loading wheel" appeared more often. I did clean up with Onyx and things like that, but it didn't worked for me. It is very strange because macbook is new, now it's 4 months old and I feel very dissapointed. So is there are any ideas? :/

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 8:47 AM

11 replies

Apr 16, 2013 10:25 AM in response to TildeBee

Hello Bee,

If I'm right Apple's advantage is that you don't need any anti-virus software, because there no viruses at all, so I don't use any.
Yeah, I was looking for solution to this my problem in various forums and there were mentioned about Font Book aplication dublicates or corrupten fonts. So I restored Standart Fonts, but it didn't helped.

By mentioning "clean up" I have executed all the "Cleaning", "Maintenance", "Utilities" tabs of the Onyx.

I have repaired Permissions in Disk Utility today, but after all I have to say I see no results. :/

Apr 16, 2013 10:54 AM in response to Lukas Titiuriu

ok - go to system preferences - users and groups - login items - see what you have loading there - delete them if any since you can open them manually when needed.

open activity monitor - under ALL PROCESESS and not MY PROCESSES see what's running in the back ground.

under the %CPU section - see what running at 10% and above. highlight it and hit quit process.

restart your macbook and see if any changes.

Apr 16, 2013 11:40 AM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

Ok, I have to say that SMC reset and NVRAM/PRAM RESET helped me, but I will keep eye on that and see for how long it will be.
By the way I want to ask some questions, not all of them will be in topic:

What I must to do every time after a major installations like Apple System Updates and etc. (I mean like SMC Reset and things like that)?

How properly I should use battery? ( I mean that when earlier I was charging and discharging battery all the way until 0%, I saw that after full discharge my macbook didn't reacted to plugged magsafe, so I always had to wait for 12 hours and just after that time macbook recognised charging and lights on magsafe from green dim light changed to normal orange light.) Now I discharge until it's 20% left and charge it all the way up, is that proper charging ?
Thank you in advice! Appreciate it.

Apr 16, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Lukas Titiuriu

after doing some software install or uninstall - first thing to do is verify and repair you disk permissions.

the only time to do a SMC or NVRAM/PRAM reset if you think you've got hardware issues.

As for the battery - keep it plugged in when you're close to a power outlet - it will not overcharge your battery if you keep it plugged in. Use it once in a while under it's own power and charge it once it's down to 70%.

do not let your battery discharge all the way to 0% that will only shorten your battery life.

good luck

Macbook Pro 2012 became slow & laggy. What's the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.