Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV slow wifi after continued use

I have a 3rd gen Apple TV that works fine for the most part. It connects to my wifi and I am able use it fine. Except after an about hour the wifi connection becomes so slow the ATV is unuseable. For example if I watching a TV show series, streamed from iTunes, I can watch the one episode from start to finish fine. When I go to play the next espisode, the wifi becomes so slow it can't load it. I get a spinning circle that says it will take 10+ hours to load and that I should change my picture quality to make it lower. I can back out to the iTunes store, and it will load icons, etc, albeit very slowly.

To fix this all I have to do is put the ATV to sleep and wake it back up and it works fine.

Multipe other wifi devices (many Apple products) all use this same router/signal with no issues at all. No router settings have changed.

The supposed recall my serial number comes close to matching but is one number off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 9:50 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2013 5:00 PM in response to Lee Abraham

Well I have the same problem. After watching an purchased movie on Itunes for about 1.5 hours the streaming connection to the itunes store seems to freeze up. I can go back to the movie menu and restart the download and it will run for a couple minutes and then freezes again. I tried 4 hours of Netflix streaming and this problem never occurred. After it froze up on my Itunes stream and tried switching over to a Netflix stream and it worked fine. The problem seems at least somewhat related to Itunes streams only. I tried calling Apple support and got the "there is no official recall of Apple TV 3 (even though my serial number, assuming 4 and 5 digits are the ones that actually count, are the ones that qualify you). A little frustrated but just letting it go for awhile and see if Apple becomes more forthcoming. Sorry for all the words....

Apple TV slow wifi after continued use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.