Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11 library: from lion to snow leopard

Hi all,

Is there a way of importing a iPhoto 11 Lion library to a iPhoto 11 Snow Leopard library, without loosing to much organization in the library?

I've added to the Snow Leopard library the Lion's Masters folder and the mess is absolute, specially when you have around 50k photos...

Any suggestions?

Cheers

João

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 10:47 AM

Sure - No Importing involved - NEVER import an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library - it does not work

-- Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) or use an external hard drive formed Mac OS extended (journaled) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

I've added to the Snow Leopard library the Lion's Masters folder and the mess is absolute, specially when you have around 50k photos...

In addition to NEVER importing one iPhoto library into another iPhoto library ayou also NEVER make any changes of any sort to the content or structure of the iPhoto library - there are no user servicable parts in it and any changes you make will cause problems and possibly data loss

LN

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2013 10:47 AM in response to jmjaneiro

Sure - No Importing involved - NEVER import an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library - it does not work

-- Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) or use an external hard drive formed Mac OS extended (journaled) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

In addition to NEVER importing one iPhoto library into another iPhoto library ayou also NEVER make any changes of any sort to the content or structure of the iPhoto library - there are no user servicable parts in it and any changes you make will cause problems and possibly data loss

LN

Apr 16, 2013 3:04 PM in response to jmjaneiro

That's why the SL IPhoto can't open the Lion's library. It's a earlier version of iPhoto and SL does not support 9.4.2. So you have to use iPhoto Library Manager to downgrade the Lion library to the SL version following this tutorial: Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager Help - Downgrading a library to an earlier version of iPhoto

Then you'll be able to open that library with iPhoto 9.2.3.

Dec 22, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Old Toad

What an /almost/ epic fail that was. I copied the library over after formatting, used the program to rebuild the library, and it had TONS of errors after a couple hours of rebuilding. Out of 15,000 photos 250 got converted. I nearly died.

I rebooted and tried it again, and it worked after HOURS. 3 errors popped up in the log however all 15000 photos (52gb) got rebuilt.

Thank you!

iPhoto 11 library: from lion to snow leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.