Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD's in FCP X.

What is everyone doing about building DVD's in FCP X? If someone does't have FC Suite how is someone supposed to build DVD's after sending a movie to Compressor?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 11:44 AM

15 replies

Apr 16, 2013 8:16 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Maybe I should ask this in a different way so as not to confuse people that can't understand what I am talking about.

Here we go again.

I am NOT talking about a SIMPLE DVD.

If someone has any KNOWLEDGE about this subject, in DVD Studio Pro a person was able to BUILD a DVD with many, MANY features that I have not found anywhere following FCP X without DVDSP. I have not found ANY positive features that are the same between FC Suite and FCP X. To me FCP X is not even close to the original FC, but this is just one opinion which is worthless to Apple. I have come to actually hate FCP X do to the lack of features. I do realize I am out of the loop since FCP X came out without ANY features from the Final Cut Sutie so I am asking again, WHAT IS A PERSON TO DO TO BUILD A DVD, AND I MEAN A DVD WITH ALL THE FEATURES OF DVDSP?

If anyone has any knowlegeable answers I would appreciate a knowledgable response. I thank anyone that can give some INFORMED answers.

Apr 17, 2013 7:09 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

YEP - I SHOULD ASK QUESSTIONS, ANY QUESTIONS IN A DIFFERENT WAY.

HERE WE GO AGAIN.

IF SOMEONE OWNES ONLY FCP X IS THERE ANY WAY TO AUTHOR DVD'S IN THE WAY DVDSP OFFERED? IF THIS TOO CONFUSING I WILL STILL TRY LATER AFTER THE NEXT RESPONSE.

IS THERE ANY VERSION OF DVDSP - OR ANY AUTHORING DVD APPLICATION - THAT FCP X USERS USE TO AUTHOR DVD'S?

Sep 12, 2014 2:02 AM in response to John Deer

To sum up. FCP X doesn't have any DVD authoring capability. It's almost as if they're saying "Ahh, DVDs are on the way out, forget about it!" And completely ignoring the ongoing demand from the legion of people who still use this format, and the people who still want to make these things for people. Now, even the updated versions of Compressor will simply no longer allow you to export straight out of FCP to make the necessary MPEG2 & AAC files required by DVDSP. So you have to export a lossless movie file out of FCP and THEN submit that to Compressor, which is a real pain and further imposition of time required to create a DVD project.

Why FCP has gone this way is beyond me, but, with each update, it's like holding onto a rising balloon and trying to decide when to let go.

<Post Edited By Host>

Sep 12, 2014 7:22 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am really resisting the urge to reply in all-caps here! 🙂

Now, clearly (I hope!), I have mentioned DVDSP in my previous post. Yes, I use that to make DVDs with, after exporting them from FCP.

I think the potentially embarrassing point that I neglected to mention is that I am still using an older version of FCP in conjunction with DVDSP, most likely because I sort of took for granted the notion that the one was compatible with the other, in terms of the handshake between the digitising/editing/exporting part and the DVD authoring/disc burning part. The Compressor 4 updates negated that intimate relationship between the two parts of the "classic" FCP Suite programs (i.e.: FCP & DVDSP).

And because I have resisted the upgrade to FCP X, partly because it seemed like a fancy-pants version of iMovie, partly because it didn't offer a DVD authoring component, and partly because I thought that if I waited for a later version of it that did, I have been "holding onto the rising balloon".

Now, I am more than happy to look like a complete fool here because I value becoming better informed more than I do saving face. The key question for me is: does that mean that FCP X is "best friends" with Compressor 4.1.2 and can export MPEG2 & AAC files that DVDSP can deal with directly without all the hassle of work-arounds that involve extra steps such as exporting lossless video files that need to be encoded? Can FCP X talk directly to DVDSP so that old fuddy-duddies can make those old and arcane shiny round things that today's hipsters and Generation Z's know little or nothing about?

(Sorry, just enjoying a chance to be flippant and silly, but I am quite sincere, and grateful for your prompt response Tom)

Sep 12, 2014 7:28 AM in response to brilton

brilton wrote:

The key question for me is: does that mean that FCP X is "best friends" with Compressor 4.1.2 and can export MPEG2 & AAC files that DVDSP can deal with directly without all the hassle of work-arounds that involve extra steps such as exporting lossless video files that need to be encoded?

Yes.

Can FCP X talk directly to DVDSP so that old fuddy-duddies can make those old and arcane shiny round things that today's hipsters and Generation Z's know little or nothing about?

No.

Russ

Aug 31, 2015 11:00 PM in response to John Deer

Hello,

Just wanted to throw in my 2c. I use FCP X for making docs and just about everything else. Just wanted to say that it's worth the $299 AND there is a DVD authoring software built into it. I just burnt 20 copies of a number of movies and they all worked fine. I used to use the FCP author program that came with FCP 6 but this is just as good.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-final-cut-pro-x-export-guide-part-one-sharing/

Hope this helps!

Sep 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to punktv

punktv wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to throw in my 2c. I use FCP X for making docs and just about everything else. Just wanted to say that it's worth the $299 AND there is a DVD authoring software built into it. I just burnt 20 copies of a number of movies and they all worked fine. I used to use the FCP author program that came with FCP 6 but this is just as good.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-final-cut-pro-x-export-guide-part-one-sharing/

Hope this helps!

This was a weird thread when it was started. Should be closed and archived.

There are no authoring capabilities for DVDs built into FCP. You can use simple chapter markers in your timeline and you can use a background for your menu. That's about it.

Perhaps the term "authoring" needs to be explored. From within FCPX: No branching. No germs or sperms. No audio program selection. No subtitles options. No multiple programs. No multiple simultaneous tracks. No selectable camera angles. No interactivity. No live links to external web resources. Those are just a few of the authoring features provided by a DVD creation application such as DVD Studio Pro or even iDVD.

The other thing I have found is that burning DVDs out of Compressor takes about 1/10 the amount of time FCPX requires to do the same job. If you are doing DVDs as a major part of your production business, you must have Compressor.

Sep 1, 2015 2:13 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Right, thanks David. I should have mentioned that it really is a simple means to burn a simple DVD with your movie(s) or clips on it. I think that it's still a valid question because as I had not burnt any movies for a few years, I was asking myself the same question a few months ago. I had gone through to fcp 6, 7, and then X. By the time I got to the latest version of X running on Mavericks and now Yosemite, DVD Pro will not work. I'm sure that there are paid solutions out there but I was happy to find the (very basic) solution right in FCP X.

DVD's in FCP X.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.