Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've done the steps here but when I reopen Itunes it won't see the files.

Exactly what the title says. I load up itunes after following all the instructions, it doesn't say it's missing files, it doesn't say it can't locate the library. It opens like usual but shows no files under Music or Books or any other catagories. I check Prefrences/Advanced/ and make sure it's pointed to the new library location. It is. Keep files organized is checked. Consolidate is checked. When I navigate with windows explorer to the new library it shows all the files there just like it did in the old location. So what gives?

Here's what I've done to try to fix it. RecycleBin/ Hit restore on the deleted Itunes library. It goes back to where it was. Load up itunes and tell it to look at original library. Still the same problem. itunes won't show any of the files even though it's pointed to the correct location.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 10:19 AM

8 replies

Apr 16, 2013 10:39 AM in response to Beltzer1

I've seen different posts saying to reopen iTunes and hold shift while it opens to choose a library. Holding shift during iTunes loading doesn't do anything. Another article said to try ALT. Nothing. Tried Control, nothing again.

So I have this Secondary iTunes folder that I created by following these instructions. It's got all my music and books, everything, because I also followed the steps to consolidate and copy the files over. I don't see any reason that iTunes shouldn't be able to see those files when I point it right to that folder I created via the Prefrences/Advanced/ Change option. Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 16, 2013 12:45 PM in response to Beltzer1

I'm assuming you've moved the entire iTunes folder to the new location and iTunes has created an empty library in the usual one. If so...

Press and hold down the shift key just before or immediately after you click the icon that launches iTunes and keep holding until prompted to choose or create a library. Click choose and browse to the new location.

If I've misunderstood, or iTunes loads your library but then can't play the files please tell me where the media folder is and where your library files are.

tt2

Apr 16, 2013 2:03 PM in response to turingtest2

Holding shift before I double click the iTunes icon worked to pull up the 'Choose / Create library' . I click Choose and navigated it to the new Librarys .itl file. Itunes loads but still no files whatsoever. The Default screen that pops up is the Music screen asking to Scan for media or go to iTunes store. No files showing and even though I tripple checked the Prefrences/Advanced/ Change setting, it's still set for the library at my new location. However its also still making an itunes folder back at it's original spot User/My Music/iTunes every time it loads, regardless of where it's looking for the library.

Where the folders are: I have WMP and it was doubling all the songs because iTunes installs and stores the files copied into User/My Music/iTunes. So I needed to move iTunes library. I moved it to User/iTunes following the steps from the guide.

Apr 16, 2013 5:12 PM in response to turingtest2

I found 2. One from the new library and the original. They are the same size. What would you like me to try with them? Move one over to a different file for a moment, plop the old one in and do the Choose Library while holding shift to see if it'll work?

Also, I didn't overright anything. I made a new directory all with the tools inside iTunes and it can't recognize it. Nor will it recognize the old one after I restored it.

Apr 16, 2013 5:31 PM in response to Beltzer1

If they are both the same size then my guess is they are both empty. No Previous iTunes Libraries folder from the last time you updated iTunes? Normally I'd expect to see files of the form iTunes Library yyyy-mm-dd.itl one of which might have served as a useful starting point.

What you should have done if you wanted your library on a different drive was move the entire iTunes folder as a unit to the root of the other drive, and then shift-start-iTunes, choose library. I can't tell what you've done, but if you use the shift-start-iTunes technique to open each of those libraries and neither contain your media & playlists, and you can find no other .itl files then I guess you'll just have to start over. Are there any .tmp files in the iTunes folder? If so see this post.

If nothing else works see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Apr 16, 2013 6:22 PM in response to Beltzer1

I don't get to write the FAQ, but seasoned users who are familiar with iTunes will recommend the method I've outlined. Apple's own tip on moving the media folder tells you to consolidate the media to a new media folder and then delete the original media folder. It would seem you removed the library files as well. When you opened iTunes subsequently it would have created a new blank library. Unless you have a backup somewhere else you will need to recover the information still on your device, or import the media into your blank library. Either way see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device or you might end up losing more than you have to.

tt2

I've done the steps here but when I reopen Itunes it won't see the files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.