Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone GPS programmed to stick to nearby roads

I have been using this app called +3 to record my rides. Since about iOS 5, i noticed the GPS on the phone started to try to stick to roads when I was going offroad. When I get more than 300 feet away from the road, the GPS suddenly corrects its position and starts to show correctly where I am. When I ride parallel to the road about 200 feet away, the GSP shows me right on the road for the whole time. It seems to me that whoever introduced this "feature" decided to not trust the GPS and let the software decide where I am instead. It seems quite irritating to me as I can't quite tell my route once recorded inaccurately. I have observed the behavior with both my iPhone 4s and 5 with no difference. Has someone else experienced this with their phone?

iOS 6

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 7:10 PM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2013 7:34 PM in response to kresearch

I would say that it is most likely an issue with the apps you are using, and not the iPhone itself. I have an iPhone 4, and an iPhone 5 and the two GPS apps I use do not lock onto the roads, they allow me to get a correct position response back to the apps. I believe that apps like Google Maps allow you to specify your transportation mode (car, bicycle, foot, etc.) and may lock to roads when you chose the auto mode...

May 15, 2013 10:36 PM in response to GeekBoy.from.Illinois

GeekBoy from Ilinois, thank you for your answer.

I found this report which fully backs up what I experience:

http://ilquest.com/2012/11/02/ios-6-is-unusable-for-people-relying-on-accurate-g ps-tracks/

I use a different application (Fitness Rewards by Plus3) and I experience exactly the same behavior. Here is one example:

https://www.plus3network.com/activity/GPS-activity/2773017

I am attaching the section in question here as a picture. You can see how the phone "snaps" to the nearby roads.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I am not being a detractor here but rather reporting a problem with a "secret" feature which happens not to be that good of an idea. I believe it's in apple's interest to roll it back or improve it so the GPS works as expected.

Yani

iPhone GPS programmed to stick to nearby roads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.