Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro is making a loud whirring noise.

As I am using it, the noise increases in intensity like it is a jet plane about to take off...Should I take cover?! I have tried turning it off and restarting it, which stops the noise for a short period, then it starts up again...it is about 18mths old..

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 7:06 PM

5 replies

Apr 16, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. I haven't been using the laptop any more than I normally do...it used to get very hot after using it for an hour or so...actually I didn't notice that it was hot last night when the problem started...do you think that it might be a fan? The noise is so loud, it sounds like someone is mowing the lawn!

Apr 16, 2013 7:18 PM in response to Bernice655

if the bottom is getting warm - it might be the fan running to keep your processor from overheating.

open activity monitor - and under all processes not my processes - see what's using 10% and above in your %CPU section - anything running 15% and higher will cause your fan to spin faster.

watching videos or youtube videos will also make your fan spin faster and louder.

see image below of my activity monitor - see All Processes - see %CPU section and notice a little arrow pointing down in the %CPU section.

User uploaded file

My MacBook Pro is making a loud whirring noise.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.