I am a long time Apple user on all platforms and feel like this should be something I could solve myself. That isn't the case.
-- The issue:
• Notification Center opens from desktop menu icon and shows nothing.
• System Preferences opens Notification Center and shows "Not in Nofication Center" and "In Notification Center" icon menus, but nothing/no apps show in either menu.
• Notification Center Help doesn't work. It is "Unavailable at This Time."
• Notification Center will open from it's standard left-side, slide open location and the button at top (accessed by pulling down at top of screen) that says "Show Alerts and Banners" can be turned on and off. I turned it off and saw the "will resume tomorrow" thinking maybe it would do so. It didn't so I turned it on...with the same results.
-- What I have done:
• Run Disk Utility
• Turned off and unplugged iMac
• Run iMac in Safe Mode - Run Disk Utility
• Attempted to acces Notification Center from other users accounts, including creating new users. Notification Center responds (or rather doesn't respond) the same as the explanation above.
• Run various cleaning software that I trust and tested the various apps and system integrity via Terminal, Acitivity Monitor and checked crash reports.
• Searched forums, Apple Support, Apple Community (here) and other reliable Mac fix it pages.
• Checked to make sure iCloud syncing was working as it should be through Internet/iMac/iOS devices (which, by the way, get notifications just fine).
• Checked Mail and other incoming connection(s) that could be interupting or cancelling out Notification Center messages.
• Checked Growl in case it was interfering.
• Finally: re-installed Mountain Lion.
--- None of the above and other steps have yet to fix Notification Center's empty message and app screen(s)
NOTE: I am not 'married' to Notification Center and could probably get by without it, but the fact that it doesn't work when it should and that I've learned to use it on my iOS devices and Mac Mini (yes, Notification Center is fine on the Mini) and can't use it on my main machine ... is just very frustrating and I'd like to fix the issue or at least discover what the problem is.
Thank you in-advance for any help, comments, advice and/or thoughts y'all have.
21.5-inch, Mid 2011
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Cord i5
Memory: 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Software: OS X 10.8.3
Current Available Storage: 449.16 GB free out of 499.25 GB
Very best regards,