Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 Boot From USB external drive or Stick?

Ok I have a Power Mac G5. Is it possible to boot from a usb external drive or stick? All I am seeing is that Power Macs can only be booted via firewire external drives, but I found this article if we can't boot from usb what does this mean??? https://support.apple.com/kb/TA25908 Also is it possible to create a APM bootable partition on an hdd in windows 7?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 1:37 AM

Hi, and Welcome to the forums!

Yes, below I will provide some links so you too can learn how to boot a PowerPC mac off of USB.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101011105729488

http://blog.campodoro.org/?p=43

Of course.. your milage will vary... To sum this all up... You would need to go into Open Firmware by holding down: Option+Command+O+F. Once in OF, you need to type devalias. This will list your hardware devices connected and installed inside your Power Mac.

Next look for "ud"... ud means: USB DEVICE... Once you find ud, then type the following.. make sure your USB device is in place.

boot ud:,\\:tbxi - This will boot Mac OS X or any bootable OS X disc, providing it works with PowerPC. You can also use this to load Diskwarrior or other applications which have a Mac OS X System folder.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2013 1:37 AM in response to Samuel.M.

Hi, and Welcome to the forums!

Yes, below I will provide some links so you too can learn how to boot a PowerPC mac off of USB.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101011105729488

http://blog.campodoro.org/?p=43

Of course.. your milage will vary... To sum this all up... You would need to go into Open Firmware by holding down: Option+Command+O+F. Once in OF, you need to type devalias. This will list your hardware devices connected and installed inside your Power Mac.

Next look for "ud"... ud means: USB DEVICE... Once you find ud, then type the following.. make sure your USB device is in place.

boot ud:,\\:tbxi - This will boot Mac OS X or any bootable OS X disc, providing it works with PowerPC. You can also use this to load Diskwarrior or other applications which have a Mac OS X System folder.

Apr 21, 2013 10:04 PM in response to Samuel.M.

Ok heres the deal I have tried every single way under the sun to boot this g5 (except firewire). I get the ? folder aka hard drive failure. I took a harddrive out of a windows computer an 80gb Seagate Barracuda. I didn't have an enclosure except my WD My Book which I wasn't gonna take apart. Also I do not want to spend any more than I have to. So I took the Seagate up to a computer repair shop and they formatted it in APM and they installed my OSX 10.5 dvd on the disk for 20 bucks (ya I know shoulda just bought the enclosure). Bring It home. Again ? folder. So make a partition on the WD Mac OS X extended (journaled) mount the dmg no go ? folder. I have tried all the open firmware work arounds with the WD (usb) and thumb drives in every slot. It also spits out the dvd at boot and after holding down C along with the Open Finrmware command "eject disc" states can't OPEN the EJECT device (I have to open the drive with the pin hole initially) . Also if I hold option down at boot it does not list the drive that I took to the repair shop, or the WD, or the USB. It runs great lol it just won't boot! All my other macs are intel based but I know leopard is compatible with both so maybe I could install leopard on my macbook air and put it in target disk mode. I guess after having to buy a firewire cable and adapter as both my macs carry thunderbolt ports. Any suggestions? I'm starting to think I might need to get a firewire enclosure so I can take a look at this myself. Is there a way to format a drive in Apple Partition Map on an intel based mac I don't see an option for that in disk utility?

Apr 21, 2013 11:03 PM in response to Samuel.M.

Is there a way to format a drive in Apple Partition Map on an intel based mac I don't see an option for that in disk utility?

Yes, click on the whole drive, not the Parttion inset below & a bit right to it, choose Partition tab, if Options tab is grayed out, change Partion layout then back again, click on Options, here' from 10.8.4...

User uploaded file

Apr 22, 2013 9:52 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok the partition is in OS X extended (journaled). I ended up going to the Apple Restore Maunel. I set up the volume with 200bg in OS X extended (journaled). It does not have an option to partition in APM. for the partition but what I am doing now is creating a new image from the drive. Which it gives me the drop down although not the same as yours? So I saved the new image in Apple Partition Map and I'm going to restore it to the disk and see how it works. I used this from the Restore manuel:

asr requires a properly created disk image for most efficient operation. This image is most easily
made with the Disk Utility application's "Image from Folder" function in OS X 10.3. The Disk Copy from
OS X 10.2.3 (v55.6) or later can also be used.
Basic steps for imaging and restoring a volume:
1. Set up the source volume the way you want it.
2. Use Disk Utility's "Images -> New -> Image from Folder..." function and select the root of the
volume. Save the image as read-only or compressed. "Images->New->Image from <device>" is not
recommended on 10.3.x.
3. Scan the image with "Images -> Scan Image for Restore."
4. Select an image or volume and click on the "Restore" tab. Drag the source image and destination
partition to the source and destination fields. Click Restore.

May 2, 2013 12:03 AM in response to BDAqua

Pshhh Stupid guy at the computer repair shop made the hd in GUID partition table grrr calling tomorrow to get my money back. I just saved and bought the firewire enclosure plugged it up and sure enough he screwed it up like I thought. Anyway just thought i'd let you know. Also it is nearly impossible to boot the G5 from usb. From my experience with this guy open firmware my butt. Just do it the way it was meant to be done!!

May 3, 2013 12:15 AM in response to BDAqua

It could be the external cases you are using don't have the oxford chip in them.. I always buy my stuff from OWC as I know its a no brainer it will work on any Mac...

But even a USB stick I have been able to get booted from within Open Firmware.. You are familar with the open firmware method?

Make sure your USB flash drive is formatted as APM.. you know this already.. Then go into open fimrware and type: devalias.. Look for "ud". When you see your device.. then type the following..

Assuming you have Leopard as a backup on the USB flash drive.. type: boot ud:,\\:tbxi -- This should start the booting of the device.. As for hitting option key to get to start up manager.. I think Apple crippled the firmware on machines with USB 2.0 ports, but my Pismo which is 1.1 sees all drives even my flash drives when I hit option key for the manager.

Weird.. sounds like a firmware cripple to me.

G5 Boot From USB external drive or Stick?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.