Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

$ for missing iMac manual

I bought my iMac in Dec. 2012 - no manual was sent with it. Years ago,(and I've been with Apple for 30 years) every Mac came with a thick manual. Yesterday, I had a problem with my keyboard. I called Tech Support. Alas, my coverage period was over. I had to pay $19 to find out how to fix it - a simple trick that I did not know about as I had no manual. The support tech was sympathetic and emailed a "manual" to me (published 2009.) This was a short dissertation on the glorius (and I agree) workings of the iMac and how to keep it healthy. No where did I find the info that the tech had told me about. It is sad, when one spends thousands on a computer, that one has either a choice of paying more for extra tech coverage, or buying a book that is authored by an outsider. Tsk-tsk.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 7:30 AM

Tsk-Tsk indeed, but on you for failing to download the free manual cunningly located here http://support.apple.com/manuals/

There is one for your iMac, just download it.

Enter your serial number in the box on that page.

User uploaded file

11 replies

Apr 17, 2013 11:48 AM in response to joyss

Apple has yet to publish a full user guide for the late 2012 iMac, but most of the information in the guide for the late 2011 iMac will still apply, so you might want to download that and consult that ifyou have a question.

For any other questions, you can always post in these forums and one of us, your fellow users who are the only participants here, can probably help you, and none of us charge anything. 🙂

Regards.

Apr 17, 2013 1:15 PM in response to varjak paw

Thanks. I checked the 2011 manual and found it to be like the 2010 (my former iMac). I guess the 2012 will be similar - enough info for a new user, but not enough insight into small problems that come up. I usually get my answers in the Mac forums, but if you can't use your keyboard .......... I used to relish going through the old thick manuals, page by page, learning my computer from the bottom up. It's hard for me, at 82, to work a manual online.

The crazy thing is that I had to buy a new computer because Apple could not solve the problem (hours and hours of technical support) that happened when I updated my system to 8.0. Twice, I erased the disk, reformatted it at OS 6, then OS 7 and finally to 8.0. It worked without trouble in OS 7. I left it at that, gave it away with a warning not to update, and bought a new one.

Oh, well.

(*_*)

Apr 17, 2013 1:23 PM in response to joyss

I have a late 2012 iMac, and other than how you access the RAM sockets in the 27" model or the ports available, the latter of which is covered in the Quick Start. I can't think of much that wouldn't be the same as in a 2011 model other than the specs. But obviously it will depend on the precise question or issue you need to address.

Apple is never going back to the days of printed manuals, nor will any other computer manufacturer. The costs of producing and shipping are just too high. If you want print, you'll have to look to the independent publishers, and they usually are a bit slow to put out new editions for new computer models.

You can always visit an Apple Store, if there's one near you, for assistance. If you want to have phone support available, you might want to consider purchasing AppleCare for your iMac. That will give you three years of phone support at no extra charge.

Regards.

Apr 17, 2013 4:19 PM in response to joyss

Besides those linked, there really aren't any manuals. That's why the "Missing Manual" series sells so well.

I can't imagine there would be much an any manual published by Apple which had anything about the keyboard except either plugging it into the USB port, or putting in batteries to the wireless keyboard and pairing it with the Mac.

Apr 18, 2013 8:36 AM in response to Barney-15E

My troubles occurred when I put new batteries into the keyboard. That's the laugh. The note that appeared said "not discovered." I tried everything, new batteries .... When I spoke to the Apple tech, she directed me to the Bluetooth preference where I checked the box "Discoverable." One would think the Keyboard directions should show the connection between the 2 preferences.

(*_*)

Apr 18, 2013 8:50 AM in response to varjak paw

I bought "Total Mountain Lion Superguide" from Macworld for $6. One can buy a new hardcover in the bookstores for $25. I would add $50 to my $2000 Apple purchase for a good manual. I would think with their profit that would do. If one expects less, one gets less, and consumers are getting less and less for their $.

About Apple Care - I used to get it, but used it rarely. After my experience with Apple tech (see my April 17th response to you), I would no longer purchase it.

However, I still love my Mac, and still appreciate all the help one gets from friends in these forums.

(*_*)

Apr 18, 2013 9:34 AM in response to joyss

joyss wrote:

I bought "Total Mountain Lion Superguide" from Macworld for $6. One can buy a new hardcover in the bookstores for $25. I would add $50 to my $2000 Apple purchase for a good manual. I would think with their profit that would do. If one expects less, one gets less, and consumers are getting less and less for their $.

You might pay more, but most people would not. Trust me, after years of dealing with computer support I can state authoritatively that the number of people who consult manuals, even when something goes amiss, is a tiny fraction of all users. The vast majority of people turn to the web or to other people for help, which is probably a big reason why computer manufacturers are providing only the simplest of manuals. I don't see that changing.

Regards.

$ for missing iMac manual

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.