Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone won't charge - new battery

Recently my iPhone 4 stopped accepting charge. I tried two wall chargers as well as my docking station, and none of them cause the battery to gain any charge. Thinking it was the battery (which was 2+ years old), I ordered a replacement however after installing the new battery the symptom remains, I still can't get the phone to gain any charge.

Has anyone had experience with this issue, and are there other things I can try to fix this? My next attempt will likely be a fresh reinstall of the OS.

-Josh

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 10:43 AM

10 replies

Apr 17, 2013 10:47 AM in response to thenobleshrew

My best guess is the issue is at the connector.

Try doing a hard reset: Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/wake button simultaneously (while connected to poweradapter) for about 15 seconds and release when the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you could also try backing up the device and restoring the device as new.

In that case, follow the steps in: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

NB: set up as a NEW device because a software issue will be in the backup. If the issue persists after restoring as new, you should offer the device for service.

If you're not able to restore the device, this one might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Using his article will erase everything on the device, so make sure you have a backup!

Good luck

May 16, 2015 1:38 PM in response to thenobleshrew

I inherited my 4s from my son when he upgraded to a 5. He said "the battery has never worked right".

What I discovered was that it was extremely sensitive to the charger: only certain chargers and certain charging cables would work, and then, only about 70% of the time (have to plug and replug those that it would accept, until it accepted them). It had nothing to do with cleaning the connector, hard-rebooting, or other simple solutions.

It's like there's a circuit inside that determines if it's going to charge from whatever power is being applied, and rejecting most everything. Just too sensitive.

Then, it got so sensitive, that only 1 in 50 attempts to charge would work (allow charging), then it would not charge with anything. This ramp down happened within a day.

I found if I powered-down fully, I could re-charge the battery... but it doesn't stay charged all day.Hoping that the problem was now the battery itself, I replaced the battery. The first replacement was fully drained upon arrival, and would cycle through a blank screen and the apple logo... which many say is a sign of a bad replacement... so I replaced it again.

The second replacement had a 50% charge upon arrival... but, like the original, will only charge if I power-down fully.

So, I figure there is some circuit that gives the "go" or "no go" to incoming power, and that circuit was always out of spec, but is now totally fried, and the only way to allow charging (and only at a trickle) is to bypass the circuit by powering down.

Does anybody know if there is a fix?

Iphone won't charge - new battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.