Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is mobile home syncing so slow?

I am running 10.8.3 on the clients and 10.8.3 with Server 2.2.1 on the Server. I have turned server-side file tracking on with

sudo serveradmin settings info:enableFileSyncAgent = yes

But the full story I got that from (http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/enable-server-side-file-tracking-in-os-x-mountain-li on-server/) does add:

Note that TCP port 2336 needs to be open for the FileSync Agent to connect over ssh on port 2336 to the server; however, ssh doesn’t need to be enabled on the standard port 22 but mobile users must have access to the SSH SACL.

- How do I recognize the SSH SACL in Workgroup manager so I can add the mobile users to it?

- SInce we have a different firewall than the 10.6 setup, how do I add port 2336?

- Is that the reason? Or is there also something on the client side?

Thanks,

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 1:56 PM

9 replies

Apr 19, 2013 7:20 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

On my 10.6 server, port 2236 was added to the firewall automatically when I turned on server side file tracking.

I have serveral users using PHD syncing on my 10.6 server. Generally it works, however there are a couple of users with laptops that have accumulated many years worth of e-mail. Syncing all that e-mail seems to take a very long time, probably due to the sheer volume involved.

I'd previously filed a feature request w/ Apple to provide a mechanism to archive old mail, so as to reduce the volume of stuff requiring constant PHD syncing. Apple responded that they didn't have any intentions of providing this feature.

Apr 22, 2013 2:25 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

Apple's software has always been very poor at handling copying lots of small files. (Anyone else remember the floppy shuffle on the original Mac?) In this case each email is an individual file and is transferred as an individual transaction with its own checks and copies and if needed delete/rename commands. Additionally Mac files often have a lot more 'meta-data' than Windows files, e.g. custom icon, colour label, spotlight data, etc. making the amount to transfer even for a small otherwise plain text file larger.

What can also make things worse is that periodically I find that Apple Mail will on occasion resync to the mail server effectively redownloading all the emails, and this can then make the corresponding files look different when syncing the home folder to the file server meaning far more files to sync. (Should in theory only apply to mail folders also stored on the mail server, not local mail folders.)

There is also a feeling that things like packet sizes, packet windows, etc. used by Apple may not be optimised for slower remote links, and remote links also having higher latency. This should not apply on a local LAN setup.

Other than possibly using a different email client (which might behave better), the only real solution is to get users to keep fewer emails. 🙂

Apr 22, 2013 2:41 AM in response to John Lockwood

@John

That would be relevant, were it not that syncing Library/Mail is explicitly excluded in my Mobile Hiome Sync setup.

What happened was that under 10.7 clients and 10.6.8 server (server-side file tracking on), the "Checking" part of sync was a lot faster. When logging in/out, the checking now takes ages, after which there is hardly ever something to actually sync. It takes for instance ages to check my iPhoto library which has not been used in between.

Apr 24, 2013 6:51 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

If it looks like it is doing the file scanning step for a very long time, it may not actually be using the file tracking feature. You can try trashing the finesync database, and let it rebuild it.

I suggest googling this, because it's been a long time since I've done this, But I think it involves trashing the FileSync folders on both the server and the client. (ex., ~/Library/FileSync)

May 3, 2013 3:39 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

How can I see in the FileSync logs that it is (or isn't) using server side file tracking?

If it's using Server Side File Tracking when doing a sync you'll get a sync window that looks like this…

User uploaded file

… while it's doing its checks up until the file copying/sync actually starts. Otherwise when you're not using Server Side File Tracking then you'll see it scan through the home directory before the file copying/syncing actually starts. It's pretty clear on the client side of Server Side File Tracking is working or not.

When it comes to your "unresolved issue" you don't actually quantify what exactly you consider slow and under what network conditions you're operating under. It's a bit hard to know what's actually going on, if it's happening to everyone and where your problems are without specific information to go from.

May 3, 2013 5:34 AM in response to infinite vortex

Network conditions: gigabit ethernet LAN between OS X client and OS X server. I see a scan of the home directory.

I found the culprit in the FileSyncAgent verbose log:

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:17.186] -[SSHIPCClient handleStderrLineOrEOF:]: [2013-05-03 11:57:17 +0000] 'Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:17.186] '

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.860] -[SSHIPCClient handleStderrLineOrEOF:]: [2013-05-03 11:57:25 +0000] 'ssh: connect to host myserver.mydomain.com port 2336: Operation timed out

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.860] '

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.860] -[SSHIPCClient handleStderrLineOrEOF:]: SSH: 'ssh: connect to host myserver.mydomain.com port 2336: Operation timed out

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.860] '

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.861] -[SSHIPCClient handleStderrLineOrEOF:]: [2013-05-03 11:57:25 +0000] '(null)'

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.865] +[SStore_FS newStore_FSForPeer:alias:] (Store-FS.m:325): unlink('/Users/userfoo/Library/Caches/Cleanup At Startup/FileSyncAgent-1025/.FileSync/Store-FS-PHD-network-home.filesyncstatetre e')

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:25.865] unlink('/Users/userfoo/Library/Caches/Cleanup At Startup/FileSyncAgent-1025/.FileSync/Store-FS-PHD-network-home.filesyncstatetre e') failed (2)

<Login> 1:: [13/05/03 13:57:26.582] Download/expand of "/Volumes/Users/userfoo/.FileSync/Store-FS-PHD-network-home.filesyncstatetree.b z2" took 0.72 seconds

Checking with a port scan by Network Utility I found out that the PF firewall is blocking port 2336 when connected from the clients. From the server itself both 127.0.0.1 and the real IP address of the server accept incoming connections on port 2336 (which is what I had checked previously, but that was a mistake, 192.168.x.x. is routed to 127.0.0.1 I guess and thus not blocked).

Now I just have to find out how to open up port 2336 from the local IP range for clients.

And I'm wondering how much of a breach it would be to open up port 2336 in my router and forward it to the server. How safe is Apple's use of SSH here? Is it certificate protected?

Why is mobile home syncing so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.