Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New music is downloading and not showing with iCloud icon

So I went to the Apple store and they configured my Mac so that I no longer require my external HDD to play my music - everything I uploaded/Matched etc with iTunes Match is in the cloud and has the iCloud logo in the corner.

However, I just purchased an album in iTunes and it has downloaded it to the mac - I thought that it would just be 'in the cloud' rather than downloading??

The Purhcase has appeared on mu iPhone so I know iTunes Match is working, but I don't want the download to be on my mac HDD - I just want purchases to be made and accessed through the iCloud with no downloding - is this possible????

How do I get this album to show wth the iCloud logo? What happens if I delete this album - will it still show up in iTunes??

HELP!!!

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 3:06 PM

6 replies

Apr 17, 2013 9:40 PM in response to Strutter72

Strutter72 wrote:

However, I just purchased an album in iTunes and it has downloaded it to the mac - I thought that it would just be 'in the cloud' rather than downloading??

This is normal. All purchases made from the iTunes Store download. You are responsible for backing up your personal data.

Strutter72 wrote:

I just want purchases to be made and accessed through the iCloud with no downloding - is this possible????

No. Not at this time.

Strutter72 wrote:

How do I get this album to show wth the iCloud logo? What happens if I delete this album - will it still show up in iTunes??

After the purchase is downloaded to iTunes, back it up, then delete it from the library. It will still show up as streams.

You should also read this: FAQ: Why iTunes Match can NOT be used as a backup!

Apr 17, 2013 11:02 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

OK - this is all cool.

I've made a copy and deleted the album.

I've also deleted the Library on the Mac HDD, held down the 'alt' key whilst starting up iTunes and created a new library. It then immediately starts to copy the album down to the Mac. I click on the 'Match' button and it scans etc and now the album cover has a cloud logo on it, but if I do a 'get info', the songs are still looking in the iTunes folder where it has 'helpfully' downloaded the album.

Seems I'm stuck in a loop. I don't want to have to keep having copies downloaded or I'm back at square one. Is there a preference where I can stop the copying back of music? It doesn't happen on any other album that I've purchased, just this one.

Apr 17, 2013 11:09 PM in response to Strutter72

Strutter72 wrote:

I've also deleted the Library on the Mac HDD, held down the 'alt' key whilst starting up iTunes and created a new library.

Why?

Strutter72 wrote:

It then immediately starts to copy the album down to the Mac.

This is normal if you have items in the download queue.

Strutter72 wrote:

I click on the 'Match' button and it scans etc and now the album cover has a cloud logo on it, but if I do a 'get info', the songs are still looking in the iTunes folder where it has 'helpfully' downloaded the album.

There is no reason to use the "update iTunes Match" command in the Store menu. All iTunes Store purchases are automatically added to iTunes Match.

To properly utilize iTunes Match's streaming feature the music must be deleted from within the iTunes browser. Do not delete the music from the finder. To fix this problem delete the tracks from iTunes and do not hide the tracks in the clous.

Strutter72 wrote:

Seems I'm stuck in a loop. I don't want to have to keep having copies downloaded or I'm back at square one. Is there a preference where I can stop the copying back of music? It doesn't happen on any other album that I've purchased, just this one.

If you have one particular album that keeps showing up in your download queue, then make sure you get it downloaded, back it up to an external HDD, delete it from the library then contact iTunes Store support and ask them to delete it from the download queue.

Apr 18, 2013 12:45 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

OK - this now works. I didn't get rid of it from the iTunes library, but once I did, it all flashed up woth the iCloud icon, so it's all good. THough it did decide to delete the album artwork annoyingly.

Anyway, now sorted to move forward.

Thanks for your help. I do realise there are multiple threads on this kind of thing, but reading through them, I can rarely see another thread that directly corresponds with my issue.

New music is downloading and not showing with iCloud icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.