Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2011 can't find harddrive (not problem with drive or cable)

My early 2011 MBP 13" was running fine, then froze up. On restart I got the image of the folder with a question mark on it (the Mystery Folder) - the system couldn't find a drive to boot from.

I took it to a genius bar and the, ahem, "genius" said the system couldn't find the drive because of a problem with the drive. "The drive's dead" he said. I hadn't backed it up, and was freaking out that I'd lose all my data. The only option he said Apple could do would be to take it away (for a week) and put a new hard drive in for £80. They'd take the old drive out, and I wouldn't get it back to try and recover the data.

I asked about replacing the drive myself, as I've done that on PCs, and he said I could try it.

I bought a new hard drive, and an external enclosure. I put the new hard drive in the MBP - Mystery Folder. I put the old drive in the external enclosure - it starts up! Everything still there, exactly as I left it when it froze. I clone the old hard drive onto the new one, try booting from the new drive in the MBP. Mystery Folder. I connect the new drive with an external enclosure - it starts up! And everything running fine.

It's the cable, I hear you cry. So I ordered a new internal cable. Replaced it. Started it up. Mystery Folder.

So, it's not the hard drive, it's not the cable. What is it?!

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 2:37 AM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2013 2:51 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi Ogelthorpe.

That's right - I now have 2 hard drives, clones of each other.

Both will boot when in an enclosure and connected with a USB.

Neither will boot when inside the MBP.

So it's not the drives that are the problem. Therefore it's an internal cable problem?

I replaced the cable.

Neither drive works when connected internally with the new cable.

What else could it be that means the system can't see the hard drive when connected internally?

Apr 21, 2013 8:43 AM in response to dpb81

Got it fixed! Apparently it was the bracket which attaches the cable on the inside of the machine. So replacing the cable didn't do it. The people at the genius bar thought the cable I got through Amazon wasn't the right part, as it was missing a bracket.

The bracket cost £12 to replace, they didn't charge for labour. The only irritating thing was had I known this in the first place, I could have saved myself a lot of money - I didn't need a new HDD at all.

MBP 2011 can't find harddrive (not problem with drive or cable)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.