Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I extend my wireless network with non-Apple repeater

Hi all,

I have Airport Exterme acting as router in my house. I need to extend the network coverage, the signal strenght in some rooms is poor. I know that this can be done with another Airport device (e.g. Express), but Is it possible to extend the wireless network with non-Apple device (e.g. Huawei, Netgear, TP-LINK)?

Thank you

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 4:25 AM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2013 5:10 AM in response to Kamil Mozis

Apple appears to use some proprietary settings in their "extend a wireless network" function, designed to work with other Apple routers.

So, while it is possible that a device from another manfacturer might work to "extend" the AirPort Extreme....it is also very unlikely.

Your best bet might be with a "universal" repeater or extender, but having tried a few of these devices myself....with no success....there are no guarantees.

It would be a good idea to understand the store's return policy before you buy if you want to try a non-Apple device to "extend" your AirPort Extreme network.

Can I extend my wireless network with non-Apple repeater

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.