You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1920x1080 with black bars on top and bottom for subtitles

I have a project shot in 1920x1080. I want now have the frame with black bars on top and bottom, and to put in subtitles at the bottom of the frame, on black the bars under the image like this:User uploaded file

The problem is, when I do it, and upload to youtube, it gives me black bars all around...any suggestions?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 5:45 AM

3 replies

Apr 18, 2013 6:24 AM in response to davidblumenfeld

I don't use You Tube but at least in Vimeo, their encoder sees something like this correctly.

Here is what I assume is what you did…

To change the aspect ratio of the image without changing the frame size (which is what you're showing) use the Trim function in the Transform>Crop options. You will lose some of the image in the re-framing.

Russ

Apr 18, 2013 7:17 AM in response to davidblumenfeld

I dont' want to crop the image, so not sure if it's possible to do what I want to do with youtube. If I put it into a 4:3 frame, which works in the original, youtube crops everything down. Same as if I uprez it to 2048x1556--looks good in the original without any cropping, but then youtube punches it down and I have black all around the image...

1920x1080 with black bars on top and bottom for subtitles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.