Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have bed eyesight.

I am looking for an e-reader with voice over. One that I can increase the size of the print to read, and also a voice over to read it. Please offer suggestions. I already own an Apple Safari desk model..

I think I might be able to get my desk model to read books to me, but I do not know how. I would prefer

something that I can carry around...

thanks

Jo.

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 7:21 AM

I think I might have an answer for you and I have to thank Alancito for it who just answered a similar question. I just read it and while I kept your question out and did some research – getting one for in-law’s birthday who has use of one eye only…

All ipads come equipped with VoiceOver. It sounds pretty amazing! It will read your ibooks to you as you read. It will also give you verbal directions as you use your ipad for different things.

Please check this out.

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/ipad/vision.html

If you can get to an Apple store (you can make a genius appointment) and have someone set it up for you, they can help you go through all that the ipad can do for you with your vision issue.

Books are not cheap, but if you have regular books or if friends have books they don’t need any more, you can have a store like Staples cut off the bindings and scan the book in with a scanner. If you have people close to you who can help with these things, that would be great. If someone has a document scanner, they could scan the book for you on their computer in minutes, download to a cd, upload it to your computer, and then connect your ipad and sync the book to your ipad.

I think Amazon has a lending library. I’ll check it out and get back to you on that.

I hope this helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2013 7:21 AM in response to jo4701

I think I might have an answer for you and I have to thank Alancito for it who just answered a similar question. I just read it and while I kept your question out and did some research – getting one for in-law’s birthday who has use of one eye only…

All ipads come equipped with VoiceOver. It sounds pretty amazing! It will read your ibooks to you as you read. It will also give you verbal directions as you use your ipad for different things.

Please check this out.

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/ipad/vision.html

If you can get to an Apple store (you can make a genius appointment) and have someone set it up for you, they can help you go through all that the ipad can do for you with your vision issue.

Books are not cheap, but if you have regular books or if friends have books they don’t need any more, you can have a store like Staples cut off the bindings and scan the book in with a scanner. If you have people close to you who can help with these things, that would be great. If someone has a document scanner, they could scan the book for you on their computer in minutes, download to a cd, upload it to your computer, and then connect your ipad and sync the book to your ipad.

I think Amazon has a lending library. I’ll check it out and get back to you on that.

I hope this helps.

Apr 22, 2013 7:43 AM in response to appleuser1322

thanks for responding. I am sure that the I pad works great, but I already have an Apple Safari Desk model..

I have many books on this computer already downloaded. I probably could use the voice over and listen fo books. But I cannot carry around a 21 inch moniter. Now I am thinking of something else. (I am not a computer whiz by any means!!) Is it possible for me to download one of my books on to a disc, or stick, and then listen to

the book on another divice that just plays disks?

I am thinking that it would be a waste of money to buy an I pad just for reading books, because I use my Apple all the time... I am a senior and do not need to walk around with an i-pad like my grandchildren. !!

Would appreciate your opinion

thanks

Jo.

Apr 22, 2013 8:50 AM in response to jo4701

jo4701 wrote:

I already own an Apple Safari desk model..

I think I might be able to get my desk model to read books to me, but I do not know how.

Jo ~ Your "Apple Safari desk model" is presumably a Mac running OS X which comes with a variety of assistive technologies to help those with vision disabilities, including a built-in screen reader, screen and cursor magnification, high-contrast settings, and more. To read about the Mac's VoiceOver, click HERE.

For some mobility with VoiceOver in your home, consider pairing a wireless headset with your Mac, e.g.

NuForce BT-860 Bluetooth headset: Wireless bliss

For travel, consider an iPod touch onto which you could put your books and use the iPod's VoiceOver screen reader. To read about iPod's VoiceOver, click HERE.

User uploaded file

Apr 22, 2013 9:04 AM in response to jo4701

Hi Jo,

You had asked about an e-reader with print and voice over. An ipad or ipad mini will do that for you. There are simple e-readers out there, but I don't know if they have voice over. I checked at Barnes and Noble the other day and they were unaware if a nook would do that. I can never find a phone # for Amazon, and haven't had time to check out whether their e-readers have voice over or not.

If you have books already on your computer, they can be synced to your ipad or other reader. You plug your ipad into your imac, go into itunes (or if you don't have it, you can download the latest itunes for free.) Any or all of you books can then be sent to your ipad and you can read them there with VoiceOver enabled. However, I'm not sure if there's voice over for other readers.

VoiceOver will help with so many other things that are explained in the link I gave you earlier.

If you download one of your regular books that is not an audio book, to a cd, it will not help, as they will only play music. If they are audio books, they might play.

Many readers are more than simple readers. They started out small and many are now selling models closer in size to the ipad. (Meanwhile, Apple brought out the ipad mini, though if vision is a problem for you and you need to enlarge the size of the print, you won't get a lot on one page. I know I would find that frustrating.

I have been looking into this subject. We are buying my father-in law an ipad for his 91st birthday in two weeks. He had unsuccessful surgery for a detached retina a couple of years ago and so has vision in only one eye. When we were researching how and if he'd benefit from an ipad we weren't sure, but then I read about VoiceOver and we're all very excited about it. The thing is, too, with an ipad and some e-readers you can do a lot more. His mind is intact. He'll be able to read newspapers, books, etc., There are many games/apps that he'll buy that can exercise his brain. Some months ago there was a thread that went on and on about how nurses/family membes who were finding that their senior parents/patients (some with Alheimer's) became more alert when working with someone on the ipad. It was encouraging. IF you have netflix you can watch movies on it. Your music might be on your computers from cd's. If you have music cd's at home, you can quiclky upload them to your computer, put them in itunes, and sync them to your ipad, too.

If you are out a lot, maybe a smaller one would work for you. If I were you, I would go to an Apple or a store like Best Buy and try them all out. The big stores will have many brands. Also, google 'user reviews' of the various types of readers out there. That might help.

Just an fyi - Last year our sons wanted to get an e-reader for their dad for Christmas. I encouraged an ipad. He said he only wanted a $79.00 e-reader to read books - nothing else. Like you are saying, he thought it would be a waste of money. I finally talked him into it. He has used it pretty much every night since he got it for many things. And the kick is, he still has not downloaded a single ibook!!! He's found so many things he can do on it, and loves it! (He spends a good part of his days on finance related computers and has never borrowed my imac or our sons' laptops for anything, but he loves this Apple refurb store ipad2.

While you use your imac when you want, you might appreciate that you can use it while you watch tv from the comfort of your living room chair, or read your newspaper while eating breakfast. You can e-mail on it. You can listen to music while you watch tv (yes, many do that.) I'm not trying to push one particular reader at you, but I do suggest that you learn about all the many things you can do with an ipad or other reader before you decide. The Apple website will be helpful, as will this support site.

I don't know how old your grandchildren are or where they are, but perhaps they can show you how much it can do that, like my husband, you are not yet aware of.

If I find out anything else, I'll be happy to get back to you!

Decisions! Decisions!

Apr 22, 2013 9:33 AM in response to appleuser1322

You have been a great help to me. I will check in to all that you have told me...

Have you looked into the CNIB to get their audio books?

I am wodering if this would be cheaper?

In themeantime, I am trying to find something cheaper than an i-pad, as I

already have a Apple Mac Safari for whatever I need it for, but I would

like to have something small that I can read in bed with...

thanks for all your trouble

Jo.

Apr 22, 2013 6:42 PM in response to jo4701

Hi Jo,

I am happy to help! No trouble at all. And in my research I learned a lot and especially from Alancito about VoiceOver. If I'd known last Thursday, it would have saved me time, but I still learned from what I did.

I'd never heard of CNIB before. I'm guessing from that you're in Canada. I checked it out and that would be great for you. It would not only be cheaper, it would be free! We're in the USA Northeast, so we don't have that. It made me look into the libraries my father-in-law has acceess to. And there are libraries where he can, for free, take out e-books with and without audio. So thank you for mentioning CNIB!

If I were you, because though you are still undecided, you tend to continue to want something small for convenience. I suggest you check out Amazon (I hope I can write that, though why not, people mention Walmart and Best Buy all the time?) and read user reviews on any readers you might consider. You can check out the ipad and the Kindle (all versions) reviews. If you google 'independent and user reviews of ___________' you might come across some professional tech reviews where you might learn about features that each has and more importantly, what each does not have, that tend to come out only in user reviews, and not in product specs. The Kindle Paper White sounds good. I would love less stress on the eyes and the matte screen that it has. (Why won't Apple do this ???) And if you're reading in bed next to a lamp, you can aviod glare. It's smaller and lighter than the larger tablets. You could look for Amazon deals. (I'm not sure if the cheapest Kindle still has pop-up ads while you're reading, but that would make me nuts.)

If you do go ipad, you have full phone support for 90 days - not sure about other readers, though from what I've read Amazon has good return deals. I think Barnes and Noble and Nook have something going on about B&N not continuing to sell it or something so I would stay away from that.

Whatever you do, take some time and check reviews. You can learn a lot. And check with your family and maybe friends who have one or another of these and ask if they considered anything different before they made their decisions. (I tend to over research, but after we've made the decision, I've always been happy with the product we bought.)

Good luck in your research and decision. And again, I'm happy to help and you helped me, too, with your CNIB info. Let us know what you decide!

Apr 23, 2013 5:10 AM in response to appleuser1322

Thanks for responding. I have decided that if or when I can no longer read, then I will go to CNIB and get e-books there. I phoned them. They will even mail them to you if you qualify. (written note from dr)

You will need some sort of reader to read the books - Daisy Reader. It costs close to 300 dollars, but if

you can no longer read, then you get it for 70 percent off! In the meantime, I am going out to buy a Kobo or some other e-reader with a back light for easy reading, and use my I-Mac for my usual computer use..

Thanks again - nice "talking" to you.

Jo.

I have bed eyesight.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.