Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi: No Hardware Installed randomly happening

Every once in a while, I got this WiFi issue. It is not happening permanently though. There are times when the wifi works normally and there are times where it says 'No hardware installed.' I have read the forums and it says its a hardware or software issues. I don't know how to deal with this and I mainly use this for school work purposes. It really ****** me off when I get that issue and I'm in the middle of working my projects. I own an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13' running Mountain Lion. I have also read that the wifi issue is way back the Lion OS and I have no idea if the same applies to Mountain Lion. I have also a defective Bluetooth, says "Bluetooth: Not Available." And just last month, I send my Macbook Pro to iStore for them to fix the hard drive flex and it is very costly for me. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks. 😕

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 6:19 AM

24 replies

Apr 18, 2013 10:12 AM in response to kimapurado9

All kinds of weird fixes for this issue have been reported, most of which make no sense. I think it's usually or always caused by a hardware fault, which may be intermittent — something like a loose connector or a failed solder joint. Almost anything might seem to fix it, at least temporarily. In some cases, a software or firmware bug may be involved.

The Apple Hardware Test doesn't find anything, as usual.

To rule out everything but a bug or a hardware fault, take each of these steps that you haven't already taken:

1. Make sure all available updates are installed.

2. Reset the NVRAM.

3. Reset the System Management Controller.

4. Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at the startup chime. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A copy of Safari will launch. Test, then reboot as usual.

May 29, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

I agree with your statement about the weird posts regarding this problem. I am on 10.8.3 now with all other applications udated and keep getting "WiFi: No Harware Installed" error. On my machine it happens after turing off and on, after restarts and after going in and out of sleep. in each instance the WiFi is dead.

I have read myself through forums up and down the internet until my eyes turned square, but to no avail. By chance I stubled across a temporary fix which seems to work on my machine:

I have to connect the MacBook Air Superdrive and load my old Snow Leopard Disc 2 (Application Install DVD).

Next step is to boot from this disc by restarting and holding down the "D" key until the grey screen appears.

If done right, the Apple Hardware Test loads on my machine. Once the Hardwaretest has finished probing my hardware components, I run the short test, which usually comes up with nothing.

After that I click "Restart" and my MBA boots up normally but this time with my WiFi card alive and kicking as if nothing ever happened.

Again, another weird fix, but now I have to use this procedure every time I need iCloud and AppStore services as they seem to go on stike with my USB Ethernet stick or my iPhone tether (God knows why).

Anyway, at least I can get it to work every time I need it. I don't believe that this is a hardware issue and I have tried a new WiFi adapter to rule at least this component out. The ribbon cable for this adapter on the MBA doesn't get flexed either and I am not even contemplating to change the logic board "just to see...". Since the internet is full of posts about this error, I find it also highly unlikely that all those people out there who complained about this error had a somewhat "collective" hardware failure, regardless of what type of portable Mac they have.

So where does that leave us...??

Jun 17, 2013 6:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

This morning my MacBook Pro 15''' late 2011 was working perfectly fine. I go to Lecture for a few hours, come back and have the same problem as you, 'Wi-Fi: No Hardware Installed'. I've tried resetting the NVRAM and the SMC and had no luck. I spoke to someone at Apple Support and they said to use an ethernet cable to connect to your router, turn you laptop off for 10-15 minutes then turn it back on and see if that would work, which I didn't. I always found on youtube a few temporary fixes such as turning bluetooth on and off and then resetting your computer; that didn't work either. The only other option I can think of now without sending it off is to Reinstall Mountain Lion OS X. But before I do that I want to know if we've found anything else useful that I could try and do to solve this problem. I've had my Macbook Pro 2 years now and hever had this type of issue before and it's quite frustrating, as you all know. Reinstalling Mountain Lion OS X is really a last resort so if anyone has found anything else that we haven't looked over if you could say that'd be muchly appreciated.

Jun 20, 2013 1:27 AM in response to kimapurado9

We are many with this issue, Apple should say something about it.

I also tried every thing, and when I try something new, it works for a while (until my MAc goes to sleep) then the "harware not installed" come back again.

Reinstalling Lion always works for a while.

I formated also the hard disk, always it work for several days and then…

The later I tried ( Ive read somewhere in the internet) was Control-Media Eject (⏏), then uncheck the "reopen windows…" and it worked !, but just for two days. Now this fix doen't work anymore for me (very odd no?)

If it's a harware failure why a simple software action fix it for a while????

And if it's a harware failure, Apple has a trouble because there are too much laptop with this problem.

Sep 17, 2013 3:01 PM in response to kimapurado9

I got the same problem over here.

A Macbook Pro from Early 2011.

It worked well for almost two years, but suddenly the Macbook Pro says, 'No Wifi Installed'.

That's a really strange problem. Looked on the internet and found a lot of guys with the same problem.

I already contacted Apple support for the problem, but the problem only showed up when I updated to Mac OSX 10.8.5

I did a PRAM Reset, did a fresh install of Mac OSX.

Disabled IPV6, and ordered the Wifi connections in the list.

Removed connections, some days the wifi works without any problem, the other day the Macbook Pro is just saying "No Wifi hardware installed".

Removed Sleepimage and did all the available updates.

I'm really confused by the fact that this is a software or a hardware problem.

Do you guys think i have to send it back to Apple?

By the way, apple said to me that they are not familiar with this problem, but i don't believe it.

Please fix this problem Apple! I think you red enough evidence that's this is crucial issue.

Greeting from the Netherlands.

Sep 17, 2013 10:35 PM in response to kimapurado9

Hi everyone,

I have to back-pedal on what I said in my earlier post from May this year. I was convinced that this was a software issue, because of everything I had to do to to get my WiFi working. In the end even the "fixes" I found didn't work anymore. I ran the the Apple Service Diagnostic (ASD) tool for my MacBook model, which revealed a fault with the chipset (Northbridge/Graphics Adapter).

Through eBay Germany I found a guy who repairs Mac mainboards in Wertheim, Germany and tried him as a last resort. He repaired my mainboard and when asked explained that this fault happens a lot with solder connections on MacBook boards due to temperature changes. He explicitly says though if people have tried to "reset" the solder connections through 'baking' their mainboard in the oven at home, not to bother sending it to him. He will not touch those bodged up boards. I was tempted at first to try and do the 'oven method' myself after I have read several posts on the net about it. I am glad I didn't do it!

The cost of the repair was 140 Euros plus postage and my machine runs like new. There are workshops in China offering this repair too, but I don't know how well they work. Anyway, I am over the moon with the repair and the incredibly fast service from him.

May be this helps others.

G.

Oct 11, 2013 12:56 PM in response to kimapurado9

Today, I trid ask apple backend service about my WIFI card issue.

He told me, it cause mainboard!! some of ' 2010 MBP and 2013 Air model' have some problem.

But we trid use wire-cable to connect and repaire, such previous disscussion.

It seems work few hr, and fail again..

Somehow, I guess OS problem is possible.

Pls fixed ASAP.. thanks.

Oct 13, 2013 2:18 AM in response to kimapurado9

I have been frustrated concerning this "wifi no hardware installed" problem with my macbook air (2011 mid).

I would like to share my experience to all of you. It works for my case for two days. I hope this problem has been solved in my macbook air and also hope it would work for you.

Just a few days ago, I restored my OS to OSX 10.8.5 using the time capsule. After that, I changed the desktop picture and turned off the bluetooth. Then up to now the wifi works perfectly without any problem.

Oct 23, 2013 12:16 PM in response to scc05

I put a bet on your main board having a problem too, just like mine had. Try and google to see who does MacBook Air main board repairs in your area. I found the guy who helped me through eBay. There were some people in China listed as well, but I don't know how good they are. They promise you though that if they can't repair the board you don't pay!

Today I downloaded Mavericks and varios other bulk things via WiFi and my MacBook Air handled everything as smooth as butter.

Oct 24, 2013 3:42 AM in response to kimapurado9

I just found recently another solution of the problem discussed here. Go to "System preferences", "Network". Click "Advanced" under the WIFI panel (of course, you have to do this when you have the wifi connecton). Then choose "hardware", set "Configure" as "Manually" and "MTU" as "Custom" and enter "1453" in the blank field. Finally click ok.

After this setting, you will not lose your wifi connection after you wake up your macbook from a sleep. But, if you resart your mac, you may lose your wifi randomly.

Dec 17, 2013 12:17 AM in response to kimapurado9

Hello guys, i am back with an update about the WIFI Issue.

Recently a guy walkes in my office with exactly the same problem. Did Apple already accepted this problem?

Recently i bought a new wifi receiver visiting eBay. It's around the $20 en easy to install self.

The truth is i didn't receive it yet, so i still have the problem. But i fixed it for a while.

What did i do?

User uploaded file

Opened my backbook and it the upper left corner you can see three small cables.

Just gently remove them en check the cables. If you bought a new WIFI Adapter on eBay replace it with that. I just checked the cables en reconnected them.

When i opened the Macbook Pro it worked again and was able to connect to WIFI again.

Now i just wait for my WIFI Adapter en replace with it, i have the fully convenience that this will repair my MBP.

If your a bit handy you can eassily safe 100$ repair cost.

WiFi: No Hardware Installed randomly happening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.