Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro won't play any media. Sometimes works if i restart, but other than that it just can't play anything, from any hard drive.

Very odd problem. It just point blank refuses to play any media every so often. I hit the play button and nothing. VLC, Quicktime, Premier Pro, iTunes and anything else you can think of. I can play music and video in my browser, but other than that, nothing.

Its a 2008 machine so I worry that it is just coming to the end of its lifespan...

Please help! I have no idea where to start.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core intel Xeon

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 7:02 AM

6 replies

Jan 20, 2014 9:32 AM in response to harry.jenkinson

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have the same thing happening to me.

I have a Macbook Pro (Around 3 and a half years old)

The sound was playing fine, as were videos on quicktime and youtube. I left my computer for maybe 10 minutes and when I came back everything had stopped.

Youtube videos will play but they don't have any sounds. Quicktime, VLC, iTunes and any other media programe won't even begin to play the media.

Feb 6, 2015 1:51 AM in response to elgraso

Start your own, new discussion. Clarify exactly your problem.

No sound?

Did it work originally?

Have you tried other speakers? DO the speakers work with another device?

elgraso wrote:

I have a brand new (refurbished) mac pro 2013.

Ive had it running for a couple days and have this exact problem.... any solutions?

Feb 6, 2015 7:51 AM in response to lllaass

I figured i would reply to this one because it may alert the others that had the same issue. This is the only reference I've found on any google search.

But yeah, I can start a new one and be more specific. (yes sound works, speakers work, everything seems to work except the stuff the original poster mentioned).

I want to re-start but I just happen to be in the middle of a massive 13-disc installation process! That should be finished today and I can test it and make a post afterwards.

My Mac Pro won't play any media. Sometimes works if i restart, but other than that it just can't play anything, from any hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.