Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I format the background of all pages in a Pages document simultaneously?

I want to mark a document "Copyright" or "Draft" or "For Discussion Only" and I want to be able to do it quickly instead of applying a text box with that message to each page.

Is it possible to change the background all at once? My reference point is MSPowerpoint's master slide function. Does something like this exist in Pages?

Pages-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 9:57 AM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2013 1:40 PM in response to WDZintl

WDZintl wrote:

I want to mark a document "Copyright" or "Draft" or "For Discussion Only" and I want to be able to do it quickly instead of applying a text box with that message to each page.

Is it possible to change the background all at once? My reference point is MSPowerpoint's master slide function. Does something like this exist in Pages?

In Pages, you would create a Text Box or other container with the text you wish to add to each page. Once it's properly composed, you would Arrange > Send Objects to Background and Format > Advanced > Move Object to Section Master. If you do this at the outset, you only have to do it once and newly created Sections will inherit the background.

Jerry

Apr 18, 2013 2:22 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for your prompt answer.

Here is what I understand.

1) If I have:

a) an Existing Pages document that I would like to stamp with "Draft" across every page, I would follow your instructions to another person outlined above, and I would have to do it manually for every page. This is true because (a1) each page in my document is its own section and (a2) the existing document was created without a Section Master. I did follow your instructions, and I got a beautiful "Draft" stamp.

HOWEVER...for a

b) a New Pages document, where there are multiple sections, what do I do? Can I have a Section Master that cuts across sections?

When I followed your instructions to the letter, I got the "Draft" to appear in the background. I moved it to "Section Master." When I typed a few pages, and the section remained the same, the "Draft" appeared. But, when I wanted to add another type of page, "Draft" did not appear on the new slide. I created a new page by Insert > Section >Text Page. How can I get the "Draft" to appear on all new sections? Is it possible?

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2013 7:23 PM in response to WDZintl

You may or may not have to visit every Section in your existing fully written document, but not every page.

New sections inherit the properties of the previous section, but changes in an existing multi-section document don't necessarily propagate through the document, and certainly won't propagate from back to front. It's a case of needing to plan ahead for maximum efficiency.

The odds are that you aren't using multiple sections if you are asking how to do this, so doing what I suggested should be all you need.

Jerry

how do I format the background of all pages in a Pages document simultaneously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.