Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having problems with Netinstall. I want to add programs to the image.

I'm a newbie here. Here is what I want to do. I have a Mac Mini as my server. It's running 10.8.3 and I purchased the server add on. I want to create a Netinstall and add programs like Firefox, Skype, and ect. I want my laptop to be able to install the OS as well as the added programs. I've tried many times and it just won't work. I reboot my laptop and I see the Netinstall I created. When I install, I don't see the programs I thought I put in the SIU. So, my question is how do I do this? What files do the programs need to be or do I need to do anything to them? I've dragged and dropped them in Add packages. I just need someone to tell me a step by step solution here. Please help. I've been through the forum, and no clear instructions on how to accomplish this. The apple support site is no use to me. It seems like the community knows more. Thank you in advance.

Mac Server-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 10:27 AM

9 replies

Apr 22, 2013 8:16 AM in response to easer353

From your description it sounds as though you've managed to get into the workflow mode, and found the "Add Packages" action.

Did you place the Add Packages action between the "Define Image Source" and the "Create Image" action? This is very important, and something many people get wrong.

Assuming you've got this correct, check the install.log on a system after performing the NetInstall. Look for anything that indicates the packages were processed, and then either installed, or skipped.

Apr 23, 2013 3:38 AM in response to easer353

Dear easer353

Why are you using NetInstall ?

NetRestore should allow you to push an image with all your packages. It will be quicker.

You can do a basic netrestore image, then you can substitute it with a personnal image created with DiskUtility. It just have to be named the same.

And even better, DeployStudio (free) should allow you to have one single netboot set with as many images you wish. DeployStudio allow you tu make a workflow that can perform bind, add packages, rename computer, create a local user, etc ...

Still, I have no experiance with NetInstall but the piperspace methode seam complex where DeployStudio allow you to just install a client and generate an image from it, without having to package anything.

Bye

Nicolas

Apr 27, 2013 1:59 PM in response to nicolas michel

Hi Nicolas,

I'm still learning all this. I actually figured out a way to make .pkg files. I'm sure DeployStudio works great. I will look into that further. I just needed an answer if there was a way to make .pkg files. Now I know I can move on to DeployStudio. I'm just researching different ways to create images and finding the best way to manage Mac Server. I'm documenting all this for future users. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated! I used InstallEase and dragged all the applications and made a .packproj file for Iceberg. I just opened up Iceberg and made a .pkg file. I then put the .pkg in the image and ran it in SIU.

I'm having problems with Netinstall. I want to add programs to the image.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.