Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three new groups in Open Directory Server

I noticed that my Open Directory server has three new groups in WGM,OD Users, OD Administators and com.apple.limited_admin. Should I treat these as I treated the other groups by assigning them members and group folders? I also noticed that now I have a System Administrator and a Directory Adminstrator, does that sound right? Should I keep both? Thanks

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Using Open Directory and a secondHD

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 10:25 AM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2013 8:34 AM in response to Bacartini

Hi

If I don't say stupid things, the System admin is a local one and the Directory admin is on the OD level.

If you check dscl hierarchy, you'll be abble to verify it.

So theses are 2 different users and both are needed.

For new groups, I don't see them on my server, but I'm not admin of the server, just admin of the OD, so they are maybe on the local branch.

Hope it helps

Bye

Apr 26, 2013 3:10 AM in response to Bacartini

Ok, thanks, I had forgoten the "show system records" trick.

For the guest user, I don't see it in dscl.

So I suppose it's not a user, just an "anonymous" authentication option in the sharing preferences.

It's a bit like "others" in the posix rights permissions : User, group, other. User and group are existing and named, other are not named, it's just anybody that is not the named user and not a member of the named group.

To keep things understandable, you should use an other name if you wish to configure a "guest user"

You can manage the "enable guest account" option from WGM if you select a computergroup, in the preferences pane / login / options.

Hope it helps

Nicolas

May 2, 2013 1:12 AM in response to Bacartini

Hi

Where did you see this guest account ?

I mean, is it existing in any local files like /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users on on an OD ldap entry ?

How many time do you need to login ?

What is this error message ?

Have you encrease the log level to see more deeply the problem ?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4696

You eventually should try to run a tcpdump session to capture what exactly happend

Bye

Three new groups in Open Directory Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.