Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.Spotlight-V100

i get the GhostBusters TM Red Crossed Out Circle on .Spotlight-V100 .

What is this ?!

Reference ( additional info ) : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4441362?answerId=20056777022#20056777022 .

--OSX128bit

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 12:08 PM

That is a normal item found at the root level of the hard drive. It is used by the system, and the user does not (and should not) normally have access to it. It should also normally be invisible... Have you done something to show invisible files?

9 replies

Apr 18, 2013 2:55 PM in response to OSX128bit

Terminal.app >

sudo su >
Password: >
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE >
killall Finder >
exit >
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE >
killall Finder >
exit >
Quit Terminal.app .

You're going to want to be more cautious than that. There are some things wrong there. First, there's no need to do "sudo su", and you should avoid both "sudo" and "su" unless you know what you're doing. Second, there's absolutely no need to repeat those commands twice.

Also, you really shouldn't go poking around with all the invisible files on your machine unless you know what you're doing. There are a number of important invisible files and folders on your machine, and if you inadvertently change or delete one, you can damage your system, perhaps even to the point of being unable to start up the machine.

Apr 18, 2013 4:11 PM in response to OSX128bit

I am completely confused. What does that thread have to do with anything?

You can already see things on your system if you go to Terminal. You SHOULD NOT BE changing things so that hidden files show up in the Finder. Those files are hidden for a very good reason: If you modify them, there is a good chance your system will behave in unexpected ways.

The .Spotlight-VT100 directory contains the Spotlight database and all of its associated metadata. If you want to clean that out, simply go to the Spotlight system preference, add your hard drive to the "privacy" section, and then remove it. But by all means, do not change it so it's visible in Finder. The same goes for .DocumentRevision-VT100, which is the database for the "Versions" functionality that was introduced with Lion.

OS X is a large and complicated operating system. There are bound to be some issues that show up for some people in some circumstances. There are way easier ways of addressing them than making their databases show up in Finder.

My advice: DO NOT search for some of the things you're seeing, and then start trying things in every loosely related thread you see. It's making a mess.

Apr 18, 2013 4:44 PM in response to William Lloyd

that was a helpful explaination .

that thread is mentioned as an example because that the experience i'm having .

i can't see the button to give you points . But i will mention it here , in the thread that i started , that you have been helpful , and i award you points if that can be made possible .

Thank you very much for your help , and hopefully other users find this thread helpful as well .

--OSX128bit

May 25, 2013 7:10 AM in response to William Lloyd

Sorry to have hitchhiked on this thread, but your answer (quoted below) helped me get Spotlight running again. It was the simplest solution for a problem that many, many others offered much more complicated Terminal solutions for - which never worked for me. Thanks!

"The .Spotlight-VT100 directory contains the Spotlight database and all of its associated metadata. If you want to clean that out, simply go to the Spotlight system preference, add your hard drive to the "privacy" section, and then remove it. "

.Spotlight-V100

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.