11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 8:54 AM by Shotgun00
anthonyfromdf Level 1 (0 points)

I would like to encrypt a network between computer and printer but I see references to ASCII and hexadecimal which I don't understand. Please can anyone explain in simple terms how to go about this?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Creeper74 Level 2 (360 points)

Does the printer you're using support the sort of encryption you're suggesting?  If you want to make it as secure as possible, attach it to your computer locally instead of over a network.

• anthonyfromdf Level 1 (0 points)

It is a Canon PIXMA MG5350 I assume that it does. I just want to encrypt it . If there is an easier way please let me know.  I want it Wi-Fi not by a lead just in case I want to move it.

Message was edited by: anthonyfromdf

• Creeper74 Level 2 (360 points)

After a very brief search, I don't think the printer supports anything more robust than joining a password-protected wifi network...and the documentation that came with the printer will give you directions on how to configure that.  Joining the printer to your wireless network does not require you to do anything from your computer.

Once your printer is joined to the same wireless network as your computer, you should be able to run the 'add printer' wizard from your computer, and it should see your device.

Thanks for the info. The only thing that mystifies me is the two lines at the bottom ot the encryptiion box see attachment. Encryption.jpg

• John Lockwood Level 5 (7,661 points)

The picture you showed is the settings for a WiFi network. There are four main types of encryption 40bit WEP, 128bit WEP, and WPA or WPA2. (I am ignoring WPA2 Enterprise as it is unlikely the printer is capable of this.)

WEP and WPA and WPA2 have all been cracked although it is still the case that WPA2 is better than WPA which in turn is better than WEP. On that basis while using eny of these encryption schemes is better than nothing if you are really concerned with security you would be better using an Ethernet cable.

WPA2 Enterprise is still somewhat secure but as its name suggests is not general suitable for home or small office setups.

With regards to ASCII and Hex, WEP passwords can be entered in either style, they would in fact be the same just entered differently. It is possible to convert an ASCII value to Hex and vice-versa.

• Shotgun00 Level 2 (220 points)

There is no way to encrypt the connection between a computer and a printer over a LAN. The image you posted is for WiFi security and have no baring on the communication between a computer and a printer or another computer. It is for connection to a WiFi signal from a router or Wireless Access Point.

It seems I have not made myself clear as I need to set a Wi-Fi network and want to encrypt it. All I successed in doing was setting up a new printer. Please can anyone help?

• John Lockwood Level 5 (7,661 points)

If you chose to use WEP or WPA or WPA2 then you are encrypting the WiFi traffic. However as I mentioned all these schems have been successfully cracked. Using these encryption schemes now still has some benefit but if you are really concerned about security then don't use a wireless network.

The WiFi network setup is done on your wireless router and then both the printer and computer, or printers and computers, connect to the routers WiFi signal.

All the encryption is done on the router, WEP (VERY insecure), WPA (more secure but not the best) or WPA2, with a WiFi network name (SSID) and password for the encryption.

Then on the printer and computer/s you connect to that SSID using the password you assigned it on the router.

anthonyfromdf wrote:

It seems I have not made myself clear as I need to set a Wi-Fi network and want to encrypt it. All I successed in doing was setting up a new printer. Please can anyone help?

Thanks for the help.

No problem. Glad I could help.