12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2013 5:04 AM by jimhaynes
jimhaynes Level 1 (10 points)

How do I stop my iOS devices from suggesting an email address that was previously used?  If I select an email address for, e.g. "John Doe" who may have several email addresses, only "John Doe" appears in the To field.  If I have long ago deleted an old email address for John Doe in my Contact records, the old email address will still be suggested.

It would also be nice to see the full name followed by the email address in the To field, e.g John Doe <jdoe@xmail.com>.  This is how the addressee is displayed in Apple Mail. Also in Apple Mail you can find a previous recipient list at Windows>Previous Recipients, and delete any.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1
  • sberman Level 7 (32,427 points)

When one of these addresses that you no longer want to see shows up, click the white arrow in the blue circle on the right side of the address being suggested.  You will then see an option to delete that address.

• Demo Level 10 (88,856 points)

When you tap in the To: field to enter the email address, a window pops up with suggestions as you already know. If the email address has a blue arrow next to it on the right side - tap that blue arrow and the tap Remove from Recents in the next window.

As you know, any contacts that are in your contacts app will always pop up in the suggestions.

• jimhaynes Level 1 (10 points)

I olny get a blue Circle with a cross in the middle on the right.  Tapping that only offer me other names to add to the To field.

You have to type in the To: field in order to bring up the the suggested email addresses and you will see a blue cricle with a white arrow. You tap that to get to the next window where you can Remove from Recents

IMG_0784.PNG

I do not get these blue arrows on either mi iPad or iPhone.

If the person is still listed as a contact in your contacts app, this will not appear. You have to delete the contact from the contacts app.

I am making an assumption here. Even if you deleted the old email address associated with that contact, the old suggested address may still appear as long as the person is still in your contacts app. You would have to delete the contact and enter it again.

Bear in mind, I am making assumption on how I believe that it works. I do know that if the email address is not in your contacts, you can delete it via the method I explained above.

Deleting a contact record for a contact that has changed or has removed one of multiple email address seems drastic and risks loosing all the other data in this record. I have typed most of the letters in the alphabet one at a time in the To field and never see the blue arrow in your screen shot. The contact I am concerned with once had 4 different email addresses in my Contct app.  Two of these were I deleted many months ago. Only two appear in my Contact app on any of my devices, iOS and OS X, but I am still offered a choice of the deleted email addresses by my iOS devices.

I'm am terribly sorry about this and should have seen it sooner. Your tagline shows that you are running iOS 5.1.1. What I am suggesting only works in iOS 6.

And I agree that having to delete contacts and re-enter them to accomplish this is pretty drastic. The mail app and the contacts app leave something to be desired in iOS and just don't have the kind of functionality that most users are used to when using mail clients and contacts applications on a computer.

I aplogize for leading you down a dead end.

No problem - one day I will have get a new iPad   but on my iPhone 4s running iOS 6.1.3, I have the same problem.  The old email addresses are still available.

I can't explain why you can't do this on the phone if you are running iOS 6. As far as I know, it should work on the phone as well since it is OS dependent.

• sberman Level 7 (32,427 points)

Just to confirm Demo's comments -- I can confirm I have the blue circle and white arrow on my iPhone running iOS 6.1.3, and clicking that circle/arrow leads to a "Remove from Recents" option at the bottom for entries not currently in my contacts list.

Very strange.  I have a contact in my Contact list with 2 email addresses.  On my iPhone 4s when I type in his full name, I am offered 3 email addresses, one I deleted sometime ago from my Contact list.  There is no blue arrow in the list of choices.