Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Not Using all Available RAM?

So I'm running Snow Leopard on a Late 2010 Mac Pro... 2.8 Intel Xenon single processor... 8g RAM.

I would assume while running Mail, Safari, the OS, and rendering HD video in Final Cut X I would using almost all if not more than the 8g of RAM I have installed. However when I open Activity Monitor to see how much is being used, only 2-3g of the RAM is being used.

Is there an issue here potentially? Why won't all RAM be accessed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Final Cut X, Final Cut 7

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 12:10 PM

36 replies

Apr 18, 2013 12:57 PM in response to jcmurphy1971

You aren't taxing it much.

Maybe it is cpu bound.

memory can be in use but not 'used' as well, as applications are aable to they will load and work on data files in memory and with more memory hold more data in RAM.

if each process (and an application can have more than one process or thread or child process) each of which may want to grab and allocate memory.

CS6 is one app where 24GB is a good starting point, but some users bump it up to 48 or 64GB RAM.

pageouts are a sign an app or OS is starved not that it has enough or ideal amount.

32-bit apps were limited to allocating 3.5GB per process, and address space.

if you have 4x2GB then realize that 3x8GB or 4x8GB for some users and applicatoins is common.

All your drivers, plug-ins and such should be 64-bit capable.

making extensiosn and drivers and plugins that were 32 and 64-bit was clumbersome and more work. Being able to be Intel only 64-bit applications means that some things like TurboTax 2012 this year would only run on 10.6.8 and above because it used new compilers and code which should make for more stable easier to test and run better.

Graphic cards were also being limited by 32-bit it seems and having Graphic cards for some reason with more than 1.5GB VRAM then 2GB, while drivers are just beginning to allow and make better use of 3 and 4GB VRAM.

I have no idea what the hardware requirements in the future for higher resolution and higher def video will be but they can now begin to and all this talk of 4k format.

Apr 18, 2013 1:39 PM in response to jcmurphy1971

There are a LOT of grumbling going on when X dropped features and yes it is getting those and other features back and improved. What comes out in 2011 was worked on the year or two before so even '11 when Lion came out is behind.

Check out news adn threads in the FCX forum is the best way.

Final Cut Pro X was originally released in 2011, but was immediately met with sharp criticism by video editors, who complained that the software was actually missing features that had been in previous versions of Final Cut. Some of those components have been restored, but Apple is still dealing with the fallout of its original design decisions.

Mac Pro Not Using all Available RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.