Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insufficient disk space.

When I attempt to import photos into an existing iPhoto library, I get the following error message: Insufficient Disk Space - iPhoto cannot import your photos because there is not enough free space on the volume containing your iPhoto library. I tried creating a new library, but the same thing happens with it. I have iPhoto 9.4.2. I have 2.39 TB of free disk space on my hard drive. Is there some way of increasing the disk space size of a library? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 1:41 PM

21 replies

Apr 20, 2013 2:15 PM in response to frjoe

That's curious.

Another test:

Create a new account (systempreferences -> accounts or Users & Groups on 10.7 and 10.8), make a new Library in that account, import some shots and see if the problem is repeated there. If it is, then a re-install of the app might be indicated. If it's not, then it's likely the app is okay and the problem is something in the main account.

Apr 22, 2013 11:14 PM in response to frjoe

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

If you purchased it on the App Store or have a Recent Mac you can find it in your Purchases List.

Insufficient disk space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.